Generator Cores: Magnets vs Coils

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary, the difference between using magnets and coils as cores in a generator is that a coil must be in an active circuit to produce magnetism, while a magnet can produce magnetism on its own. However, it is easier to move the magnets in terms of construction because they do not need to be electrically connected. In designing a domestic animal powered generator, it may be more efficient to gear up the rotation of the turbine rather than relying on stronger magnets and more coils.
darkar
Teoretically and practically, Is there any different in using magnets as core compare to coil as core.

Physics news on Phys.org
darkar said:
Teoretically and practically, Is there any different in using magnets as core compare to coil as core.
If I understand your question correctly, yes. A coil has to be in an active circuit to produce magnetism. A generator relies upon the movement of a magnet within a coil to produce current. Therefore an electromagnet won't work unless powered from the outside, which would be kind of silly.

Sorry for i let u misunderstood the question.

Well, it is an assignment of my friend. He need to design a domestic animal powered
generator.

This is what he said:

bout the generator, can you tell me the difference between
moving the coil and moving the magnet. Theoretically, it will induce the
same emf, but practically, i remember that there is a difference.

For ur further infomation:

we are using cows to pull a turbine. because they can work relatively longer and are strong, even though they are slow, but we can make up for that with stronger magnets and more coils... and then this turbine will be in a magnetic field of a pair of fixed magnets. therefore, electricity, we can assume that there will be a battery charger that will be sufficiently large.

Thanks!

darkar said:
Sorry for i let u misunderstood the question.
Okay, I see. You're asking if it matters which part moves. Not in the sense of creating the electricity, but its far easier from a construction standpoint to move the magnets because they don't have to be electrically connected to anything. If you move the coil, you need slip rings, brushes, etc. to transfer the current from the coil to the rest of the circuit.
I hope that he's using the term 'turbine' to mean a rotary device as opposed to a real turbine which is meant to be turned by a fluid or gas impinging upon it. Since a cow has a lot of horsepower (no pun intended), he should consider gearing the thing way up rather than just adding more magnets and coils to make up for slow rotation. Kick it up to a couple of thousand rpm and watch the sparks fly!

1. What is the difference between magnet-based and coil-based generator cores?

The main difference between magnet-based and coil-based generator cores is the source of magnetic field. Magnet-based generator cores use permanent magnets to create a magnetic field, while coil-based cores use electromagnets, which are created by passing an electric current through a wire.

2. Which type of generator core is more efficient?

In terms of efficiency, coil-based generator cores are generally considered to be more efficient. This is because the strength of the magnetic field can be easily adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the coils, whereas the strength of permanent magnets is fixed.

3. What factors determine the strength of a generator core's magnetic field?

The strength of a generator core's magnetic field is determined by the type and strength of the magnets or coils used, the distance between the magnets or coils, and the speed at which the magnets or coils are moving relative to each other.

4. Which type of generator core is more durable?

In terms of durability, magnet-based generator cores may have an advantage as they do not rely on electrical components that may wear out or fail over time. However, with proper maintenance, both types of cores can have a long lifespan.

5. Can generator cores be combined to create a more efficient system?

Yes, generator cores can be combined in various configurations to create more efficient systems. For example, a generator may use a combination of permanent magnets and electromagnets to take advantage of the benefits of both types of cores.