Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generator's Core

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    Teoretically and practically, Is there any different in using magnets as core compare to coil as core.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

If I understand your question correctly, yes. A coil has to be in an active circuit to produce magnetism. A generator relies upon the movement of a magnet within a coil to produce current. Therefore an electromagnet won't work unless powered from the outside, which would be kind of silly.

4. May 24, 2005 #3
    Sorry for i let u misunderstood the question.

Well, it is an assignment of my friend. He need to design a domestic animal powered
    generator.

This is what he said:

For ur further infomation:

Thanks!

5. May 24, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, I see. You're asking if it matters which part moves. Not in the sense of creating the electricity, but its far easier from a construction standpoint to move the magnets because they don't have to be electrically connected to anything. If you move the coil, you need slip rings, brushes, etc. to transfer the current from the coil to the rest of the circuit.
    I hope that he's using the term 'turbine' to mean a rotary device as opposed to a real turbine which is meant to be turned by a fluid or gas impinging upon it. Since a cow has a lot of horsepower (no pun intended), he should consider gearing the thing way up rather than just adding more magnets and coils to make up for slow rotation. Kick it up to a couple of thousand rpm and watch the sparks fly!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?