Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generator's output

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    Hi everybody:

Help me out with this if you don't mind.

A 2000 ft lb per second source rotates a generator shaft at 60 RPM; It is generally agreed (not by everyone) that this produces 17.038 KW of power.

What is not clear is if this is 17.038 KW per SECOND then the total HOURLY power would be calculated : 17.038KW *60* 60= 61336.8 KWH.

Some say that the total production of this generator is 17.038 KWH (IN ONE HOUR)

What say you?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

kWH = kW * H

EDIT -- removed the confusion which then followed....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  4. Nov 21, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Yikes - you have to know what a kW and a kWh are. Check the units: Since the "h" is hours, kW * h = kWh

kW is kilojoules per second, but don't let that confuse you - if you want kWh, you just need the kW and the number of hours.

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4

berkeman

Yikes is right. :tongue2: Thanks for catching my error Russ. I'll edit my post to remove the confusion.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shoot. To late to see the confusing goodies.

7. Nov 21, 2006 #6

russ_watters

:uhh: Riiiiight.....your error........ um, I guess I should have read your post....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?