Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genes to blame for infidelity?

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    Genes may to blame for infidelity

(quote)
    Some people may be genetically programmed to be unfaithful to their partner, a scientist has claimed.

Professor Tim Spector, of the Twin Research Unit at St Thomas's Hospital, London, says he has evidence of a genetic component to infidelity.

Focusing on women, he found that if one of a pair of twins had a history of infidelity, the chances her sister would also stray were about 55%.

In general it is estimated that just 23% of women are not faithful.

In addition, Professor Spector found the tendency for both twins to be either faithful, or unfaithful was strongest in identical pairs - who have identical genes.

He stressed that genes alone did not determine whether somebody was likely to be unfaithful - much was down to social factors.
    ... (en quote)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3783031.stm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

JÚST 23%? :uhh:

..goes to look up study..

4. Jun 7, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: can't find it

5. Jun 7, 2004 #4
    A hidden majority? :biggrin:

6. Jun 7, 2004 #5
    23% of Americans?

Wouldn't be surprised...

7. Jun 9, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

55%...hmm...so little more than a coin toss? Doesn't sound like much of a link to me.

I assume they mean infidelity in marriage? I'm sure many just don't bother getting married if they don't want to stick with just one man. I also think the rate of infidelity is higher than reported...only those who get caught are reported :devil:

8. Jun 10, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:devil: I don't know what kind of a news report that is, since the data is still not published

9. Jun 10, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if it's just preliminary data presented at a conference? I couldn't find any published work on it either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?