1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic Code Question

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Val-tRNA val is the tRNA that carries valine to the ribosome during translation. Which of the following sequences gives an appropriate anticodon for this tRNA?

A. CAU
    B. AUC
    C. UAC
    D. GUG

2. Relevant equations

There are four different codons for Valine: GUU, GUC, GUA, and GUG.

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is C, but I'm just wondering how to approach problems like this in the future.
    Since we're looking for the anticodon, and DNA is read 5'---> 3', we would have to flip all 4 codons for Val:
    UUG, CUG, AUG, GUG.
    Then would we follow complementary base pairing rules to get:
    AAC, GAC, UAC, CAC

That way, we get the correct answer, but I'm just wondering if I have the correct method down or if somebody could help explain to me why this is the reason its done this way? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You could have eliminated a couple of choices like D right because it is Val-tRNA.

Choice B has a matching U in the middle.

So you're left with choice A or C and your analysis then applies to determine which one is the winner.

Here's a discussion on codons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_code

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted