Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic Diseases

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I know this may sound a tad morbid, but I need an interesting genetic disease that I can write about (mode of inheritance, physiology, treatment, etc) for my intro to genetics class. There are the obvious one's (Turner Syndrome, Down Syndrome, etc), but I was looking for something less common and maybe more interesting (and hopefully less depressing, is there any genetic "disease" with a good effect out there?)

Oh and it needs to be listed in teh Online Mendellian Inheritance of Man (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=OMIM), but I think everything you can thing of is probably listed there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

SIckle Cell Anemia? Standard example of balancing adaptation.
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    Any more ideas? I was leaning towards narcolepsy or color blindness...
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

How about Albinism? Not as debilitating, so not as morbid to write about. Don't think it is generally reffered to as a "disease", but rather a "condition", (due to its relatively benign nature), but technichally, it is a disease; just a very mild and non-threatening one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?