1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic Diseases

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I know this may sound a tad morbid, but I need an interesting genetic disease that I can write about (mode of inheritance, physiology, treatment, etc) for my intro to genetics class. There are the obvious one's (Turner Syndrome, Down Syndrome, etc), but I was looking for something less common and maybe more interesting (and hopefully less depressing, is there any genetic "disease" with a good effect out there?)

Oh and it needs to be listed in teh Online Mendellian Inheritance of Man (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=OMIM), but I think everything you can thing of is probably listed there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

SIckle Cell Anemia? Standard example of balancing adaptation.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    Any more ideas? I was leaning towards narcolepsy or color blindness...

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

How about Albinism? Not as debilitating, so not as morbid to write about. Don't think it is generally reffered to as a "disease", but rather a "condition", (due to its relatively benign nature), but technichally, it is a disease; just a very mild and non-threatening one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?