1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic probability

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to work out genetic probabilities using the punnet square.

Let's say I have 2 shirts and 2 pants. The odds of me wearing shirt #1 is 1/2. The odds of me wearing pants #1 is 1/2. Does this mean that the odds of me wearing shirt #1 or Pants #1 is 1 (100%) (addition rule - 1/2 + 1/2). This seems counterintuitive.

Is the answer that I have to subtract out from 100% the odds of me wearing BOTH shirt #1 and pants #1?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's not simple addition.

When you are looking at the probability of wearing shirt 1 OR pants 1, how many possible outcomes total do you have of shirts and/or pants? And how many possible outcomes would fulfill the requirement of having shirt 1 OR pants 1? [/quote]

No, that's not what you would subtract out. Though, one should be careful of how the question is phrased. If you need to determine any combination where shirt 1 or pants 1 (or both) is included, then both is within that same set of outcomes you need to consider, and the only outcome that will NOT satisfy your conditions is shirt 2 and pants 2 together.

On the other hand, if it says shirt 1 OR pants 1, but NOT both, then the outcome with shirt 1 AND pants 1, as well as the outcome of shirt 2 AND pant 2, are both excluded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?