Geneticist Steve Jones: Why men are the true second sex.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, geneticist Steve Jones argues that men are the "second sex" because they are parasites, persuading their partners to invest in reproduction while doing as little as possible themselves. However, others argue that both genders have qualities that complement each other and that men are not becoming obsolete in society.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Geneticist Steve Jones: Why men are the true "second sex."

"Males are, in many ways, parasites upon their partners," Jones writes. "Their interests are to persuade the other party to invest in reproduction, while doing as little as they can themselves. Like all vermin, from viruses to tapeworms, they force their reluctant landladies to adapt or to be overwhelmed."

http://www.rense.com/general38/men.htm

Biology news on Phys.org
If this article is stating the reality of the male role, then we are all in trouble...both genders have typical qualities that compliment the other...i really like this comment from someone who commented:

A very fundamental change in our society needs to take place if we are going to continue as a country. Women need to just grow the f**k up and start supporting, in all respects, their men.

I know I would be awfully lonely without my man :smile:

i agree with the statement if you look at the animal kingdome the male attracts the female and in most rodents males have about 80 partners which they either force thems selves on or some how convince the female to hold on to soemthing for a few weeks...humans are no diffrent (- the 80 mates) than anmails and i regret saying this but men suck...most men... But following nature the women do have to do there part by chooseing the best mate

Ladies i am free from now till forever

wow that was the first smily face i used...

seems like a highly scientific version of "all men are pigs"

Originally posted by Kerrie
both genders have typical qualities that compliment the other

Thanks for restoring my faith, Kerrie. That article was thinly veiled male bashing. Is there an ongoing shift in the role of males in Western cultures? Sure. Are males becoming obsolete to the human race? Not at all. For every "parasite" quality, we could also identify an altruistic quality. For every complaint about men, we could dredge up a similar complaint about women. But I would prefer to focus on the positive.

But that's the linked article (written by an entertainment columnist, not a scientist)...as for the quote from Dr. Steve...I'd note that there are countless examples of human males who devote their lives to helping their mates and their children. Some parasite.

Last edited:

1. What is the main argument of Geneticist Steve Jones' theory about men being the true second sex?

The main argument of Geneticist Steve Jones' theory is that men are biologically and genetically inferior to women, making them the "second sex". He argues that women have two X chromosomes, which contain more genetic information and provide them with greater evolutionary advantages.

2. How does Geneticist Steve Jones' theory challenge traditional gender roles and stereotypes?

Geneticist Steve Jones' theory challenges traditional gender roles and stereotypes by suggesting that men are not biologically superior to women, as has been traditionally believed. This challenges the idea that men are the dominant gender and should hold positions of power and authority.

3. What evidence does Geneticist Steve Jones use to support his theory?

Geneticist Steve Jones uses evidence from genetics, biology, and evolutionary science to support his theory. He points to the fact that women have two X chromosomes, which contain more genetic information and therefore provide them with greater evolutionary advantages. He also highlights studies that show men have a higher rate of genetic mutations and are more susceptible to genetic disorders.

4. How has Geneticist Steve Jones' theory been received by the scientific community?

Geneticist Steve Jones' theory has been met with mixed reactions from the scientific community. Some scientists have praised his use of evidence and the thought-provoking nature of his theory, while others have criticized it for oversimplifying complex biological and social factors that contribute to gender differences.

5. What are the implications of Geneticist Steve Jones' theory for society?

The implications of Geneticist Steve Jones' theory for society are controversial and have sparked debates about gender equality and the role of biology in shaping gender roles and stereotypes. If his theory is widely accepted, it could potentially challenge long-held beliefs about gender and lead to a reevaluation of societal norms and expectations for men and women.

Back