Can Genetics Give Us an Advantage in the Field of Finance?

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, genes might play a role in determining a person's predisposition to pursue a certain occupation, but this is largely due to environmental factors such as upbringing.
supernova1203
Do our genes have memory?

Say that my grandfather was in finance, and my father was in finance, and i too am in finance, and have a keen interest in it, will my child have an edge in the field of finance, over the competition because 3 generation of people went into the same field...and shared each others insights with the other?

for instance the grandfather mentored the father, and the father mentored me and i mentor the son

Biology news on Phys.org
I think if you can discover the physical traits that a financial person might have then you could say its inheritable.

One example would be a pilot, who had a sharp mind, good goespatial perception and say 20/10 vision then his children that acquired the same or similar traits might persuaded to go into flying because they think and see like him and so decide that they were destined to be pilots too. So it would be a combination of nature and nurture.

so in other words, genetics DO play a role in this scenario?

Only If you can identify the traits of a good financial person. Remember the financial person could simply has a string of good luck that makes him appear to be good to others so there wouldn't be any traits necessarily.

There was an analogy about winning generals where someone wanted to know out how many would win five battles in a row and the answer was 4 to 5 out of 100. A mathematician listening says that statistically about right: 1 in 32 generals would win all five battles and hence 3 out of 100 so the heuristic result matched the probabilistic computation.

The idea you are proposing is called Lamarckism after Jean-Baptiste Lamarck. It is discredited. Your genetic inheritance is decided at conception, and cannot be changed during your lifetime. Certain traits appropriate to a given profession may be heritable, and being brought up within a particular environment may affect your disposition towards a given profession. But the skills your father or your grandfather gained during their lifetime cannot be passed on genetically, only culturally.

Ken Natton said:
The idea you are proposing is called Lamarckism after Jean-Baptiste Lamarck. It is discredited. Your genetic inheritance is decided at conception, and cannot be changed during your lifetime.
This is not true, there is a neo-Lamarckian theory that epigenetic changes can be imprinted in the genes through experiences. Some genes do have memory. These changes relate mostly to biological-relevant mechanisms, such as experiencing a famine.

I'm sure that choice of profession is mainly influenced by life experiences than (epi)genetic contributions.

a monozygotic twin study would be the thing to look for to answer this question. Here's some material I've found so far. Don't know about the quality/accuracy of it, but I present it for critique:

http://www.american.com/archive/2010/february/the-genetics-of-job-choice

Here is the website of the referenced researcher (with list of publications):
https://apps-bschool.nus.edu.sg/asp/staffprofile/cv.asp?id=2408

supernova1203 said:
Do our genes have memory?

Say that my grandfather was in finance, and my father was in finance, and i too am in finance, and have a keen interest in it, will my child have an edge in the field of finance, over the competition because 3 generation of people went into the same field...and shared each others insights with the other?

for instance the grandfather mentored the father, and the father mentored me and i mentor the son
How is this different from the age old tradition of people following in their father's footsteps? In old times, professions carried down in families were so common that last names came from the trade they were in such as tailor, shoemaker, baker etc...

Last edited:
Yes if Dad and relations are most interested in, talk about, think about, the child hears about finance/music/engineering/ plus family can give you a start that maybe others wouldn't get, add that these professional interests do influence outlook, values, personality - then your are more likely to finish doing those things.

There cannot be a gene for finance surely though there are certainly dynasties - for one thing what finance is has varied quite a lot. It used to be boring and solid, then it became glamorous, now everyone wishes it was boring. :biggrin:

Given the complex and transferable skills required for finance (which is a changing field) it is very unlikely that genetics has any effect. Even if it did I would guess it insignificant compared to the upbringing that each generation would receive.

1. What is the role of genetics in determining a person's profession?

Genetics can play a significant role in determining a person's profession by influencing their innate abilities, personality traits, and physical characteristics. For example, someone with a genetic predisposition for athleticism may excel in sports-related professions, while someone with a genetic predisposition for creativity may thrive in artistic professions.

2. Can genetics be used to predict a person's success in a particular profession?

While genetics can influence a person's abilities and traits, it is not a reliable predictor of success in a specific profession. Other factors such as education, experience, and personal drive also play a crucial role in a person's success in their chosen field.

3. How do genetic disorders affect a person's ability to pursue certain professions?

Genetic disorders can have a significant impact on a person's ability to pursue certain professions. For example, someone with a genetic disorder that affects their vision may be limited in their ability to become a pilot or a surgeon. However, with accommodations and advancements in technology, many individuals with genetic disorders can still pursue their desired professions.

4. Are certain professions more genetically influenced than others?

While genetics can play a role in all professions, some may be more genetically influenced than others. For example, professions that require specific physical traits, such as height for basketball players or hand-eye coordination for surgeons, may have a stronger genetic influence. However, environmental factors also play a significant role in shaping a person's abilities and traits.

5. How can understanding genetics benefit a person's career development?

Understanding genetics can benefit a person's career development by helping them identify their strengths and weaknesses, and choosing a profession that aligns with their abilities. It can also aid in creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace by recognizing and accommodating individuals with genetic disorders or variations. Additionally, advancements in genetic research can lead to new opportunities and advancements in various professions.