Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetics, eh

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1
    Are fingerprints the same for twins? That is, are they based on development, on the genetic code, or a combination of both? Its probably a dumb question, but it had me wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2
    The fingerprints of identical twins are not identical. So sayeth Columbo, and it was so.

4. Jan 7, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fingerprints are formed due to stochastic factors.

5. Jan 7, 2004 #4
    Thanks ChemicalSuperfreak and Monique. I really appreciate it. I knew they didn't have the same fingerprints -- I just was curious on how features can look the same and not be "genetically" the same, that's what I was aiming at.

Addendum: I have a question for Monique. Why would guesswork (stochastic) cells for the fingerprints be random? And even if they are random isn't there some chance (very unlikey) that they could resemble multiple qualitites?

Thanks again.

6. Jan 14, 2004 #5

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I assume they would be affected by the environment they are in direct contact with.... they are afterall external, vulnerable to touching things, vulnerable to temperature differences, water wrinkling them differently and so on...

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6
    If that were the case, each of our fingers would have a different print. Right???

Nautica

8. Jan 14, 2004 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?