Solving Genetics Problems: 5 Mutant Males x 5 Wild Type Females

• Biology
  • Thread starter MusicMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, the conversation discusses attempts to solve genetics problems and determining the nature of traits being studied, whether they are linked or sex-linked. The results of two crosses suggest that the traits are linked, but not sex-linked. The conversation also touches on the possibility of recombination events and the potential outcomes of a cross between triple-mutant males and triple-heterozygous females. It is determined that there are 8 possible combinations if the traits are not linked. However, it is mentioned that the answer may vary depending on the answer to the first question.
MusicMonkey
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to solve these problems with no success. Please help. Thanks in advance.

1. Determine the nature of the traits being studied (ie. whether linked or sex-linked). Explain how you reached the conclusion.

Attempted Answer:

The cross was between 5 mutant males (wym) and 5 wild type females (WYM) and another cross was between 5 wild type males (WYM) and 5 mutant females (wym).

The results achieved in the first cross was 43 wild type males, 35 wild type females, 2 females WyM and 1 female Wym.

The results achieved in the second cross was 15 male wym, 5 male WYM, 20 female WYM and 1 female Wym.

I concluded that these traits were linked on ym and YM becaues they appear together in both generations. I also concluded that they were not sex-linked traits because they were present in both generations of the male and female.

2. Show all the progenies you may obtain in the cross between 5 triple-mutant males (wym) and five triple-heterozygous females (WYM) (consider the recombination event)

Attempted Answer:

male wym X female WYM
wYm, wYm, wyM, Wym, WYm, WYm... I'm not sure that this is right.

Once again I thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
MusicMonkey said:
I concluded that these traits were linked on ym and YM becaues they appear together in both generations.

If you are going to state that YM are linked you may have to explain this (unless it is a typo)

MusicMonkey said:
2 females WyM

MusicMonkey said:
I also concluded that they were not sex-linked traits because they were present in both generations of the male and female.

You may want to reviewed the sex-link traits in your note. The presence of all trait is not identicative of the absence of sex-link. You have to pay close attention to the female trait and what the male gets and vice and versa. Specifically look at the difference between cross 1 and cross. What is the difference?

MusicMonkey said:
male wym X female WYM
wYm, wYm, wyM, Wym, WYm, WYm... I'm not sure that this is right.

You are repeating yourself (look at the bolded type and the one before). There's a possibility of 8 different combinations without taking answer one in consideration.

Last edited:
iansmith said:
If you are going to state that YM are linked you may have to explain this (unless it is a typo)

I assumed that they were linked because of the fact that they appeared in 2 successive generations together. Is it correct to state that ym are linked?

iansmith said:
You may want to reviewed the sex-link traits in your note. The presence of all trait is not identicative of the absence of sex-link. You have to pay close attention to the female trait and what the male gets and vice and versa. Specifically look at the difference between cross 1 and cross. What is the difference?

In the first cross it seems that the wild type is present more often in both males and females and the mutant type is not present as often. Also there were no male mutants present. It seems in this case that the mutations are not sex-linked since it would only require one mutant gene on the x chromosome to indicate that there is a sex-linkage. Is there still chance of any linkage?

In the second cross it seems that male mutations are more common and the female wild type is more common. Thus is is alternating from the previous generation. I think that this is indicative of linkage but I am not sure if this is indicative of sex-linkage. It seems as though it is.

iansmith said:
You are repeating yourself (look at the bolded type and the one before). There's a possibility of 8 different combinations without taking answer one in consideration.
Do the 8 different combinations also take the recombination into consideration? Also, are the ones that I entered on the right path or are they incorrect? (wYm, wyM, Wym, WYm)

Thank you for your continued help.

MusicMonkey said:
I assumed that they were linked because of the fact that they appeared in 2 successive generations together. Is it correct to state that ym are linked?

When 2 traits are linked you will always get both trait together. It's very unlikely that you will get a recombination event that separate both traits. So if it was linked, all the offspring would either have YM or ym but no yM or Ym.

MusicMonkey said:
In the first cross it seems that the wild type is present more often in both males and females and the mutant type is not present as often. Also there were no male mutants present. It seems in this case that the mutations are not sex-linked since it would only require one mutant gene on the x chromosome to indicate that there is a sex-linkage. Is there still chance of any linkage?

In the second cross it seems that male mutations are more common and the female wild type is more common. Thus is is alternating from the previous generation. I think that this is indicative of linkage but I am not sure if this is indicative of sex-linkage. It seems as though it is.

You are on the right tract.

I highligthed the important comment. In sex linkages when the female is homozygous, the males will always have the traits of the mother but none of the traits of their father. So what are the traits absent in the male offspring but present in the parent males.
MusicMonkey said:
Do the 8 different combinations also take the recombination into consideration? Also, are the ones that I entered on the right path or are they incorrect? (wYm, wyM, Wym, WYm)

There is 8 combination that are possible (WYM, WYm, Wym, WyM, wYM, wYm, wyM and wym) if the individuals are heterozygous for all the traits and if none of the traits are linked. The answer will also take a different direction depending on your answer in question number one.

Last edited:
For the last question remember that you have to do a punnet square.

I have re-read some of the concepts and attempted to answer the questions again.

The first cross between five mutant males (wym) and five wild type females (WYM) resulted in 43 wild type males (WYM), 35 wild type females (WYM), 2 wYM females and 1 wyM female.

I concluded that the genes are linked in this case because in most cases with the rare recombinance the genes appear in the parental forms. Also, the frequency at which the parental form appears is greater than 50% and the recombinance is very rare.

I also concluded that the genes are X-Linked because there were no mutant males in the F1 generation thereby showing that the gene is likely X-Linked. An F2 generation cross would help in proving this as it is expected that the mutation will reappear in the F2 generation.

The second cross was between five wild type males (WYM) and five mutant females (wym). This resulted in 15 mutant males (wym), 5 wild type males (WYM), 20 wild type females (WYM) and 1 Wym female.

I concluded that the genes are linked here as well because once again it is very rare for a recombinance event to take place and thus the parental form of the gene is more often seen.

I also concluded that the genes are not X-Linked because of the appearance of the wild type male in the F1 generation. Can you please double check this as I am not sure if this is correct? In fruit flies it is known that the W, Y and M are X-Linked but in this circumstance it does not appear that it is. (W = red eyes, Y = golden-brown body, M = expanded wings; w = white eyes, y = yellow body, m = miniature wings)

All the progenies that can be obtained from a cross between 5 triple-mutant males and five triple-heterozygous females will be as follows (this also includes the recombinance event):

WYM, WYm, Wym, WyM, wYM, wYm, wyM and wym

How would you set up the Punnett-Square with 3 traits?

Thank you for the continued help.

MusicMonkey said:
I concluded that the genes are linked in this case because in most cases with the rare recombinance the genes appear in the parental forms. Also, the frequency at which the parental form appears is greater than 50% and the recombinance is very rare.

I also concluded that the genes are X-Linked because there were no mutant males in the F1 generation thereby showing that the gene is likely X-Linked. An F2 generation cross would help in proving this as it is expected that the mutation will reappear in the F2 generation.

That seems to be correct

MusicMonkey said:
I concluded that the genes are linked here as well because once again it is very rare for a recombinance event to take place and thus the parental form of the gene is more often seen.

I also concluded that the genes are not X-Linked because of the appearance of the wild type male in the F1 generation. Can you please double check this as I am not sure if this is correct? In fruit flies it is known that the W, Y and M are X-Linked but in this circumstance it does not appear that it is. (W = red eyes, Y = golden-brown body, M = expanded wings; w = white eyes, y = yellow body, m = miniature wings)

As far as I know this is also correct because if there was a X-linked phenotype I would expect only mutant male and wild type female.

1. How do you determine the genotypes of the mutant males and wild type females in this problem?

The genotypes can be determined by performing a cross between the 5 mutant males and the 5 wild type females, and analyzing the resulting offspring. By observing the phenotypes of the offspring, the genotypes of the parents can be inferred.

2. What is the purpose of using both mutant males and wild type females in this problem?

The use of both mutant males and wild type females allows for a thorough analysis of the inheritance patterns and genetic interactions between the two groups. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the genetics involved in the problem.

3. How do you calculate the probability of a specific genotype appearing in the offspring?

The probability of a specific genotype appearing in the offspring can be calculated using Punnett squares or by using the principles of probability. This involves determining the likelihood of each allele being passed down from each parent and combining them to determine the overall probability of a specific genotype.

4. What can be learned from solving genetics problems like this one?

Solving genetics problems can provide insights into the inheritance patterns and genetic interactions involved in a particular trait or characteristic. It can also help in predicting the likelihood of certain genotypes and phenotypes appearing in offspring.

5. Are there any limitations to solving genetics problems in this way?

While solving genetics problems using crosses and Punnett squares can provide valuable information, it is important to remember that these are simplified models and may not accurately represent the complexities of real-life genetic inheritance. Other factors such as environmental influences and epigenetics may also play a role in determining traits and characteristics.