Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genius girl

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow a girl with a good memory.

Not impressed.

Geez i feel like cyrus.

4. Apr 7, 2006 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Doesn't she have anything better than political facts and speeches to memorise ? Sorry, I didn't see the whole thing, but I would only have warmed to her if she'd done a recital of Shakespeare or the digits of pi later on.

Am I the only one who found her MLK oration to be more than a little creepy ?

5. Apr 7, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I thought it was kinda creepy too for some reason....

I don't call anyone a genius if all they can do is memorize things. Critical thinking and mental processes are where the genius lies

And let's all remember, she's on oprah, she can't be that smart.

6. Apr 7, 2006 #5
    dude, she is like five years old. That is absolutely amazing. I bet that she gets a full scholarship to any univursity that she wants now that she has been on nationaly television (multiple times).

7. Apr 7, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Which means nothing.

8. Apr 7, 2006 #7
    Critical thinking and mental processes!? Dude, this is a very young child.

9. Apr 7, 2006 #8
    Do you think you could do that at that age?

10. Apr 7, 2006 #9
    I am thinking about agreeing with you up pengwuino. :smile:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  11. Apr 7, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What are you, 10?

Anyone can memorize something. No one is called a genius because they memorized a harry potter book. Einstein wasn't called a genius because he memorized anything special.

Actually im just secretly mounting a war against genius memory qualifications because i can't remember what i do hour to hour.

12. Apr 7, 2006 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Don't be an idiot. He's entitled to give his opinion, just as you are to give yours. He's not insulting this girl, just saying he's not that impressed.

There are kids who've mastered the Calculus of Variations by 4. To me (and I'll bet Penguin), that's more impressive.

She is a sweet and bright girl, on that I'll agree with you. :wink:

13. Apr 7, 2006 #12

Curious is right penguino. So just let me have my opinion.

14. Apr 7, 2006 #13
    How do you edit someone elses post? :biggrin:

15. Apr 7, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. My opinion. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If she had learned even algebra by now, i'd be impressed. I differentiate between simply storing things in your head vs. being able to use information you've stored in a critical thinking application..

16. Apr 7, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Bribe the mods

17. Apr 7, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My bribe account with the Bank of Zurich is always open. Please note that the bank doesn't usually send me notices about deposits smaller than five figures.

- Warren

18. Apr 7, 2006 #17
    That's one smart little girl. Good for her. I'd like to see any of you even be able to read the US constitution at her age.

19. Apr 7, 2006 #18
    i could've been on oprah at that age. i use to memorize that stuff too. i use to know all of martin luther king's i had a dream speach. the preamble. the bill of rights, most of the declaration of indepenence, all of paul reveres ride and i learned to say the abc's backward and fowards, in french and english. and i knew all the presidents in chronological order. i did that all before i turned 10ish. i HATE history now. and i can't really remember any of that stuff. i remember the preamble, the first line of i had a dream, none of paul revere, but most of the presidents and i still can do the abc's thing. (backwards abc's became a popular party trick when i started drinking...)

anyway, yeah, memorization at that age isn't difficult. the kind of attention a kid gets is amazing. you're a sponge. i'm sure she's a bright girl, but its nothing spectacular. i bet she doesn't understand half of what she repeats.

on another note though, i think its almost sad how much we expect in order to be impressed. meh.

20. Apr 7, 2006 #19

ranger

Gold Member

Thats just sad :rofl:

21. Apr 7, 2006 #20

Mk

Sound's like you may've had great fun doing all that (or hated it), but I don't think most of it is helping you now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?