Gents how do I write Bra and Ket vectors here

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Bra and Ket vectors in latex. The question is asked about how to write these vectors and the confusion arises when seeing equations using "|" and "<>". The use of \mean, \braket, \braketop, and \frac{d}{dt} \left| \psi \right> are suggested as possible solutions.
Neitrino
Gents how do I write Bra and Ket vectors here, I ve gone through the help documentation, but I could not find, I saw one equation as an example but I failed to identify Bra and Ket associated codes

Thks

Physics news on Phys.org
Neitrino said:
Gents how do I write Bra and Ket vectors here, I ve gone through the help documentation, but I could not find, I saw one equation as an example but I failed to identify Bra and Ket associated codes

Thks

Er.. what's wrong with using "<", ">", and "|"?

Zz.

"[tex]
\newcommand{\mean}[1]{{<\!\!{#1}\!\!>}}
\newcommand{\braket}[2]{{<\!\!{#1|#2}\!\!>}}
\newcommand{\braketop}[3]{{<\!\!{#1|\hat{#2}|#3}\!\!>}}
\braket{\phi}{\psi} \equiv \int \phi^*(x) \psi(x)\,dx
[/tex]"

Ive seen such equation for Bra/Ket vectors and that confused me, sine i failed to identify this code

[itex] \left | \psi \right \rangle [/itex]

latex \left | \psi \right \rangle /latex

[itex] \left \langle \psi \right | [/itex]

latex \left \langle \psi \right | /latex

[itex] \left \langle \psi \right. \left | \psi \right \rangle [/itex]

latex \left \langle \psi \right. \left | \psi \right \rangle /latex

Note: The "latex" and "/latex" should be enclosed in square brackets to make the equation appear.

Try this.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left| \psi \right> = \left| \frac{d \psi}{dt} \right> [/tex]

Regards,
George

[tex] \langle \frac{a}{b}\rangle [/tex]

[tex]\langle ^\wedge \smile ^\wedge \rangle[/tex] :approve:

What are Bra and Ket vectors?

Bra and Ket vectors are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to represent states of a quantum system. They are denoted as <a| and |b>, where <a| is the Bra vector and |b> is the Ket vector. The Bra vector represents the dual space of the Ket vector, and they are used to calculate probabilities and amplitudes in quantum mechanics.

How do I write Bra and Ket vectors?

To write Bra and Ket vectors, you can use the notation <a| and |b>, where <a| is the Bra vector and |b> is the Ket vector. You can also represent them using the Dirac notation, where the Bra vector is represented as <a| and the Ket vector is represented as |b>.

What is the difference between Bra and Ket vectors?

The main difference between Bra and Ket vectors is that they represent different mathematical objects. Bra vectors represent the dual space of Ket vectors and are used to calculate probabilities and amplitudes in quantum mechanics. Ket vectors represent the state of a quantum system and are used to describe the physical properties of the system.

How are Bra and Ket vectors used in quantum mechanics?

Bra and Ket vectors are used in quantum mechanics to represent states of a quantum system and to calculate probabilities and amplitudes. They are also used in quantum mechanics operations such as inner product, outer product, and tensor product. They are an essential tool in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

Can Bra and Ket vectors be used in other fields of science?

Although Bra and Ket vectors are primarily used in quantum mechanics, they can also be applied in other fields of science, such as linear algebra and functional analysis. They are useful tools for representing abstract mathematical objects and can be used to simplify complex calculations and equations.