Where Can I Go Now That Geocities is Ending?

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
In summary, Geocities is a free web page space provided by Yahoo, but it is now going to end, causing disappointment for many users who have put a lot of effort into their sites. Some alternatives suggested include going to wiki, using Angelfire, or signing up for 000webhost.com which offers a variety of features without requiring advertisements.
Helios
Geocities is the free web page space Yahoo let's people have. Now it's going to end. What a downer! Geocities even had a history before Yahoo. I've had a site going for over 7 years and I put a lot of work into it. There are many very good geocities sites, and yes, some very bad ones too. Now it's all over and I'm going to be homeless. Where can I go? What will I do? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go to wiki...

Cyrus said:
Just go to wiki...

What does cyrus mean by this? For such a short utterance it's, well I have no idea what this means...

The best free service I came across is http://www.000webhost.com/ by far. It has 1.5Gb space, php, mysql, cron jobs, ftp, you name it. I would seriously recommend you sign up to it, no adverts required. Its such a nice service!

My geocoities.com/r-sharipov site is now off. Use the following sites instead:
http://ruslan-sharipov.ucoz.com"
http://freetextbooks.narod.ru"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Geocities and why is it ending?

Geocities was a popular web hosting service launched in 1994 that allowed users to create and publish their own websites for free. It was acquired by Yahoo in 1999 and has since declined in popularity, leading to its eventual shutdown in 2009.

When is Geocities shutting down?

Geocities officially shut down on October 26, 2009. However, the company announced its plans to close the service in April of that year, giving users ample time to save their website content and find alternative hosting options.

What will happen to my Geocities website after it shuts down?

After Geocities shut down, all of the website content was deleted and is no longer accessible. However, some archived versions of Geocities websites can be found online through the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine.

Why did Geocities shut down?

The decline in popularity and rise of more advanced website hosting options, such as WordPress and Wix, made it difficult for Geocities to compete in the market. Additionally, Yahoo, the company that acquired Geocities, faced financial troubles and needed to cut costs.

Is there a way to save my Geocities website before it shuts down?

Yes, Geocities provided users with the option to download their website content and files before the service shut down. This allowed users to save their website and transfer it to a new hosting provider before the deadline.