1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic Deviation

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2004 #2
    i took a look at it, and did the calculation. i thought it was pretty straightforward. where did you get stuck? what extra terms do you have?

remember that x is a geodesic. so there is a geodesic equation in x, and it therefore vanishes. and remember that χ is very small; drop any term with more than one χ in it.

4. Jan 24, 2004 #3
    Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

I fingered it out :smile:

One has to drop not only the term &chi*&chi but the term which is the product of &chi and a derivative of &chi. That was what I was missing.

5. Jan 24, 2004 #4
    Re: Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

Thank you

I believe that I've fingered it out :smile:

One has to drop not only the term χ*χ but the term which is the product of χ and a derivative of χ. That was what I was missing.

Again - thanks for the response

Arcon

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

Seems that this small detail (drop term with χdχdT) has always tripped me up in that derivation. I guess I was just blind to it. But now that I know it then the derivation is simple.

Just to make sure I understood the approximation can you check this for me?

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/gr/geodesic_deviation.htm

I commented on the terms to drop right after Eq. (14) and right after Eq. (15)

Thanks

I don't know how I missed this before but the equation of geodesic deviation clearly shows that tidal forces are velocity dependant!

Arcon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?