Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic Deviation

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2004 #2
    i took a look at it, and did the calculation. i thought it was pretty straightforward. where did you get stuck? what extra terms do you have?

remember that x is a geodesic. so there is a geodesic equation in x, and it therefore vanishes. and remember that χ is very small; drop any term with more than one χ in it.

4. Jan 24, 2004 #3
    Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

I fingered it out :smile:

One has to drop not only the term &chi*&chi but the term which is the product of &chi and a derivative of &chi. That was what I was missing.

5. Jan 24, 2004 #4
    Re: Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

Thank you

I believe that I've fingered it out :smile:

One has to drop not only the term χ*χ but the term which is the product of χ and a derivative of χ. That was what I was missing.

Again - thanks for the response

Arcon

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Re: Re: Geodesic Deviation

Seems that this small detail (drop term with χdχdT) has always tripped me up in that derivation. I guess I was just blind to it. But now that I know it then the derivation is simple.

Just to make sure I understood the approximation can you check this for me?

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/gr/geodesic_deviation.htm

I commented on the terms to drop right after Eq. (14) and right after Eq. (15)

Thanks

I don't know how I missed this before but the equation of geodesic deviation clearly shows that tidal forces are velocity dependant!

Arcon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?