Geodesic Dome Angles: Help for Math Wizards!

In summary, the speaker is looking for assistance in determining the cut angles for constructing a geodesic dome greenhouse. They are building a 13' diameter 2V dome using information from online calculators. The dome is made up of 6 pentagonal frames with internal struts that radiate to the 5 points on the frames. The pentagon sides are 4.017' and the internal struts are 3.552'. The speaker needs help with cutting instructions for the internal struts, which are mitered at a 20 degree angle. They have a program that can assist with figuring out the angles and provide their email for further help.
kauaibeachbum
Hi,
Any math wizards here willing to assist me in determining cut angles for parts to construct geodesic dome greenhouse. I am building a 13' diameter geodesic dome. I am using the info from geodesic dome calculators on line for a 2V version. It is composed of 6 pentagonal frames with internal struts that radiate to the 5 points on the pentagonal frames.Five pentagons create the walls and the 6th one is the roof. Triangle voids remain between the pentagons. I have cut the pentagon frame parts but need construction details on cutting the internal struts. The pentagon sides are 4.017' (48 3/16") and the internal struts are 3.552' (42 5/8"). A line from the center of each pentagon side to the center of pentagon creates a 20 degree angle. The 9/16 x 2 15/16 pentagon frames are mitered with a 20 degree bevel. I need cutting instructions for the internal struts that radiate from the points...any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kauaibeachbum said:
Hi,
Any math wizards here willing to assist me in determining cut angles for parts to construct geodesic dome greenhouse. I am building a 13' diameter geodesic dome. I am using the info from geodesic dome calculators on line for a 2V version. It is composed of 6 pentagonal frames with internal struts that radiate to the 5 points on the pentagonal frames.Five pentagons create the walls and the 6th one is the roof. Triangle voids remain between the pentagons. I have cut the pentagon frame parts but need construction details on cutting the internal struts. The pentagon sides are 4.017' (48 3/16") and the internal struts are 3.552' (42 5/8"). A line from the center of each pentagon side to the center of pentagon creates a 20 degree angle. The 9/16 x 2 15/16 pentagon frames are mitered with a 20 degree bevel. I need cutting instructions for the internal struts that radiate from the points...any help would be appreciated.
Is this a 2v form of icosahedron?

I have a program that will allow figuring the angles.

Email krazykyngekorny(@)gmail.com

What is a geodesic dome?

A geodesic dome is a spherical or partial-spherical structure made up of a network of geometric shapes, typically triangles, that distribute stress evenly throughout the structure.

How are angles used in geodesic dome construction?

Angles are used to determine the size and placement of the geometric shapes that make up the dome, as well as the connections between them. They also play a crucial role in calculating the dome's strength and stability.

What is the relationship between angle measurements and dome size?

The larger the angles used in the dome's construction, the smaller the dome will be. Smaller angles result in larger domes. This relationship is known as the frequency of the dome.

How do I calculate the angles needed for a specific dome size?

To calculate the angles, you will need to know the frequency of the dome, which is determined by the number of sides in the base polygon. You can then use a mathematical formula or online calculator to determine the angles for each triangle in the dome.

What are some challenges related to geodesic dome angles?

Some challenges in working with geodesic dome angles include accurately measuring and cutting the angles, as well as ensuring precise connections between the shapes. Additionally, changes in temperature and materials can affect the angles and overall stability of the dome.