1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic in 2D space

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having trouble understanding how the following statement (taken from some old notes) is true:

>For a 2 dimensional space such that [tex]ds^2=\frac{1}{u^2}(-du^2+dv^2)[/tex]
    the timelike geodesics are given by [tex]u^2=v^2+av+b[/tex] where [itex]a,b[/itex] are constants.

2. Relevant equations
    Euler-Lagrange, Normalisation condition

3. The attempt at a solution

When I see "geodesics" I jump to the Euler-Lagrange equations. They give me
    [tex]\frac{d}{d\lambda}(-2\frac{\dot u}{u^2})=(-\dot u^2+\dot v^2)(-\frac{2}{u^3})\\
    \implies \frac{\ddot u}{u^2}-2\frac{\dot u^2}{u^3}=\frac{1}{u^3}(-\dot u^2+\dot v^2)\\
    \implies u\ddot u-\dot u^2-\dot v^2=0[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{d}{d\lambda}(2\frac{\dot v}{u^2})=0\\
    \implies \dot v=cu^2[/tex]
    where [itex]c[/itex] is some constant.

Timelike implies [tex]\dot x^a\dot x_a=-1[/tex] where I have adopted the (-+++) signature.

I can't for the life of me see how the statement results from these. Would someone mind explaining? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2
    Do not expand the Euler-Lagrange equations. But do a trick like this:

The Lagrangian is:

[tex] L = \frac{1}{u}\sqrt{\left(\frac{dv}{du}\right)^2-1}= \frac{1}{u}\sqrt{v'^2-1} [/tex]

Now you see this doesnt depend on $v$. The Euler Lagrange equations then give:

[tex]0=\frac{\partial L}{\partial v}=\frac{d}{du}\frac{\partial L}{\partial v'} \Longrightarrow \frac{\partial L}{\partial v'}=C [/tex]

Now calculate [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v'}[/tex] from the Lagrangian and put it equal to the constant C. This will lead to a differential equation which gives the solution you were looking for.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Thanks, Thaakisfox, I've got it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted