Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic incompleteness cases

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I would like to know if somebody know the cases when we have in the space time manifold (and in general in any manifold) geodesic incompleteness.

I know that a case can be a singularity in the curvature scalar (or in general, a singularity in any component of the Riemann tensor). Also when we remove a point of our manifold.

I ignore if when we have a singularity due to a bad selection of coordinates (coordinate singularities), there is geodesic incompleteness. Also ignore more cases.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's not enough to remove a point from an otherwise well-behaved spacetime, because we're typically only interested in cases where the spacetime can't be extended in order to restore geodesic completeness. But for example, you could have a conical singularity, in which case geodesics can't be extended through the point where the singularity occurs, and this can't be fixed by extending the spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook