1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic math help

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that a regular curve on a smooth surface is a geodesic and an asymptotic curve if and only if it is a segment of a straight line.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did the <= implication, which is quite easy. I can't get the other one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A unit speed curve [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a segment of a straight line iff [itex]\ddot{\gamma} = 0[/itex], and all regular curves can be reparametrised to be unit speed. What are the definitions of "geodesic" and "asymptotic curve"?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    Suppose [tex]\alpha[/tex] a unit speed curve, then it is a geodesic if the covariant derivative [tex]D\alpha/dt=0[/tex] and it is an asymptotic curve if [tex]II(\alpha '(s))=0[/tex] for all s, where II is the second fundamental form and the normal curvature k_n at a point on the curve. Since [tex]k_n=k<n,N>=0[/tex] where k is the curvature of [tex]\alpha[/tex] at a point, n the curve's normal and N the surface's normal, we have to conclude that k=0 or <n,N>=0. This is where I am stuck. What if <n,N>=0?
  5. Apr 4, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My book says that a curve is a geodesic if it's second derivative is zero or if it's second derivative is perpendicular to the surface. Since the second derivative is kn, this is equivalent to saying that kn = aN for some real a.

k<n,N> = <kn,N> = <aN,N> = a<N,N>

if the curve is asymptotic, then k<n,N> = 0, which would imply a = 0, implying that the second derivative is 0, which I claimed to be equivalent to saying that the curve is part of a line segment. So somehow, you need to show that your book's definition of "geodesic" is equivalent to my book's.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?