The Fall of Physical Momentum in an FRW Spacetime

This term can be rewritten as follows: a(t)^2|\tilde{u}|(1 + (u^i)^2)\frac{d|\tilde{u}|}{ds}.We can now use the geodesic equation to simplify this further: a(t)^2|\tilde{u}|(1 + (u^i)^2)\frac{d|\tilde{u}|}{ds} = a(t)^2|\tilde{u}|(-\Gamma^0_{00}u^0u^0 - \Gamma^i_{00}u^0u^i)\frac{d|\
latentcorpse
General particle motion in an FRW spacetime is governed by the geodesic equation, [itex]\frac{du^\mu}{ds} + \Gamma^\mu{}_{\nu \alpha} u^\nu u^\alpha=0[/itex], with [itex]u^\mu = \frac{dx^\mu}{ds}[/itex] and where the Christoffel symbols are given in the notes. Show that the physical momentum of any particle always falls as [itex]|\tilde{u}| \propto a^{-1}[/itex], where the physical velocity is related to the comoving velocity by [itex]|\tilde{u}| = \sqrt{-g_{ij}u^iu^j}=a | \vec{u} |[/itex]. [Hint: Consider
[itex]u^\mu u_\mu[/itex] in the FRW metric and show that [itex]u^0 \frac{du^0}{ds} = |\tilde{u}| \frac{d|\tilde{u}|}{ds}[/itex] for both massive and massless particles.]

i can't get anywhere productive with this. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:Using the geodesic equation and the FRW metric, we can calculate u^μu_μ as follows:u^μu_μ = g_{00}u^0u^0 + g_{ij}u^iu^j = a(t)^2(-u^0)^2 + a(t)^2(u^i)^2 = a(t)^2(-u^0)^2(1 + (u^i)^2).Now, consider the time-derivative of the above equation:\frac{d}{ds}[u^μu_μ] = \frac{d}{ds}[a(t)^2(-u^0)^2(1 + (u^i)^2)].Using the chain rule, we get:\frac{d}{ds}[u^μu_μ] = a(t)^2(-u^0)\frac{du^0}{ds}(1 + (u^i)^2) + a(t)^2(-u^0)^2\frac{d(u^i)^2}{ds}.Now, note that for both massive and massless particles, u^0\frac{du^0}{ds} = |\tilde{u}|\frac{d|\tilde{u}|}{ds},where \tilde{u} is the physical velocity, related to the comoving velocity by |\tilde{u}| = \sqrt{-g_{ij}u^iu^j}=a|\vec{u}|.Therefore, we can rewrite the time-derivative of u^μu_μ as follows:\frac{d}{ds}[u^μu_μ] = a(t)^2|\tilde{u}|\frac{d|\tilde{u}|}{ds}(1 + (u^i)^2) + a(t)^2(-u^0)^2\frac{d(u^i)^2}{ds}.Since the second term on the RHS is always 0 (since

1. What is the "Fall of Physical Momentum" in an FRW Spacetime?

The Fall of Physical Momentum refers to the phenomenon where objects in an FRW (Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker) spacetime experience a decrease in their momentum over time. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes a decrease in the gravitational pull between objects.

2. How does the "Fall of Physical Momentum" affect objects in the universe?

The decrease in momentum caused by the Fall of Physical Momentum can lead to a decrease in the kinetic energy of objects, resulting in a decrease in their speed. This can also affect the trajectory of objects, causing them to follow a curved path rather than a straight line.

3. Is the "Fall of Physical Momentum" a universal phenomenon?

Yes, the Fall of Physical Momentum is a universal phenomenon that affects all objects in the universe. It is a consequence of the expansion of the universe and is observed in all FRW spacetimes.

4. Can the "Fall of Physical Momentum" be reversed?

No, the Fall of Physical Momentum cannot be reversed. As long as the universe continues to expand, the momentum of objects will continue to decrease over time. However, the effects of the Fall of Physical Momentum can be counteracted by other forces, such as electromagnetic or nuclear forces.

5. How is the "Fall of Physical Momentum" related to the expansion of the universe?

The Fall of Physical Momentum is a consequence of the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between objects increases, causing a decrease in the gravitational pull between them. This decrease in gravitational pull leads to a decrease in the momentum of objects, resulting in the Fall of Physical Momentum.