Geodesic sphere made of straws

In summary: Video of the red glider, 63" wingspan, parked at the gliderport:ji126.wmvIn summary, Jeff's 4v icosahedron is a neat design. He calculated the effective resistance across two vertices and found it to be tedious work.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
First starting making these back in 1973, but those are long gone. Decided to make a 4v icosahedron recently and this is what I ended up with. Web page shows the progress, and the final sphere:

4f.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Already fixed. Wow, you were quick.

Looks neat... I did something smaller like that, but with resistor networks - 1/4 watt resistors soldered together into polyhedra. Actually deriving what the resistances should be was a fun exercise in combinatorics (well, for a freshman...).

It looks great, Jeff, but how do you change the bulb? :confused:
Hey, wait a second! You forgot to put the fixture in!

Rach3 said:
Looks neat... I did something smaller like that, but with resistor networks - 1/4 watt resistors soldered together into polyhedra. Actually deriving what the resistances should be was a fun exercise in combinatorics (well, for a freshman...).

You calculated the effective resistance across two vertices? That sounds like some tedious work with star/delta transforms.

Looks great Jeff.

siddharth said:
You calculated the effective resistance across two vertices? That sounds like some tedious work with star/delta transforms.

Looks great Jeff.

Never needed those, I just simplified things with symmetry arguments.

Last edited:
Wow, you either drink a lot of coffee, or some cafe is wondering where all their stirrers went! :biggrin: How long were you allowed to leave it hanging from the ceiling on display in the living room before told to move it someplace better, like the basement or garage? :rofl:

display in the living room
It wouldn't be allowed in the living room. It's in the computer room. Kids are grown up and moved out, so my status is married with pet.

Pics of the computer room:

cr.htm

I like it. Very nice design and idea Jeff. School will be over soon, and I think I'll try to create a sphere by myself.

Jeff Reid said:
It wouldn't be allowed in the living room. It's in the computer room. Kids are grown up and moved out, so my status is married with pet.
Oh, okay. From the pics, I saw the couch and the stuffed toy sitting in the corner, which seemed to suggest there was a feminine hand involved in the decorating of the room, and figured it was a living room. I didn't think the same person who carefully placed a little stuffed toy and frilly thing in the corner of the couch would be too thrilled with a geodesic dome made of coffee stirrers decorating the living room. :biggrin: I guess the living room is just where the construction took place.

From the pics, I saw the couch and the stuffed toy sitting in the corner
Oh, where the "construction" took place; we call it the breakfast nook, a small room on the far side of the kitchen. It's a low usage room, so taking it over for a few days was OK. As noted, there are no stuffed animals or toys in the computer room, unless our dog brings one of her toys downstairs.

In case anyone is wondering about the v-tails in the first computer room picture, those are the fuselages of my larger radio control gliders.

Video of the white with red trim glider, 122" wingspan. The power source for launching is 60 feet of 7/16" diameter latex tubing, 210 feet of monofilament fishing line (27lb pull, 4 .25 lb model, about 50mph during launch). For storage, it's wound up on the right most orange spool you see in the 3rd computer room picture.

jrartms.wmv

Video of the white glider from the 3rd photo, 71" winspan, at a canyon ridge where there is an updraft:

jr126.wmv

Last edited:

1. What is a geodesic sphere made of straws?

A geodesic sphere made of straws is a three-dimensional structure composed of multiple triangular faces created by connecting straws together. It is based on the concept of a geodesic dome, which was popularized by American architect Buckminster Fuller.

2. What are the benefits of using straws to construct a geodesic sphere?

Using straws to construct a geodesic sphere has several benefits. Straws are lightweight, inexpensive, and easily available. They also have a high strength-to-weight ratio, making them a structurally sound choice for building a dome-like structure.

3. How do you build a geodesic sphere with straws?

To build a geodesic sphere with straws, you will need to first create a base structure using a specific pattern of interconnected triangles. Then, you can add more layers of triangles to create a spherical shape. The process can vary depending on the size and complexity of the desired sphere.

4. What are some practical applications of a geodesic sphere made of straws?

A geodesic sphere made of straws can have various practical applications. It can be used as a temporary shelter for camping or emergency situations. It can also be used as a greenhouse for growing plants or as a play structure for children. Additionally, it can serve as a unique and eye-catching piece of art or decoration.

5. Are there any limitations to using straws for a geodesic sphere?

While straws have many benefits for constructing a geodesic sphere, there are also some limitations to consider. Straws may not be as durable as other building materials and may not be suitable for use in extreme weather conditions. Additionally, the size and shape of the geodesic sphere may be limited by the size and length of the straws used.