1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic Sphere

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]L = R \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \sqrt{1 + sin^2(\theta ) \phi ' ^ 2} d\theta [/tex]

Use the result to prove that the geodesic (shortest path) between two given points on a sphere is a great circle. [Hint: The integrand f(phi,phi_prime,theta) in the result is independent of phi so the Euler-Lagrange equation reduces to partial_f/partial_phi_prime = c, a constant. This gives you phi_prime as a function of theta. You can avoid doing the final integral by the following trick: There is no loss of generality in choosing your z axis to pass through the point 1. Show that with this choice the constant c is necessarily zero and describe the corresponding geodesics.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\partial f / \partial x = d/du \partial f / \partial x'[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having a bit of difficulty interpreting this problem. Using the Euler-Lagrange equation I get the following:
    [tex]\phi ' ^ 2 = C^2 / ( sin^4 (\theta ) - C^2 sin^2(\theta ) [/tex]
    The hint kind of confusing me. How can 'c' be zero? If I were to have the z-axis at point 1, I would think that [tex]\theta_1[/tex] = 0 if anything.

Can anyone help guide me on the right path for this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might be more useful to write this as:

[tex]\left( sin^4 (\theta ) - C^2 sin^2(\theta ) \right) \phi ' ^ 2 = C^2[/tex]

I think the point of the hint is that the above relation holds for all allowable values of [itex]\theta[/itex] and that [itex]\theta=0[/itex] is one such allowable value. What does [itex]C^2[/itex] equal when [itex]\theta=0[/itex] assuming that [itex]\phi'[/itex] is bounded (i.e. not infinite)? Since [itex]C[/itex] is a constant, it must have this value for all [itex]\theta[/itex].
  4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Now I can see why C = 0. If I am doing my math correctly that means [tex]\phi (\theta ) = A[/tex] (another constant).

If [tex]\phi (\theta )[/tex] is just some constant, does that mean this constant A will be a segment of the great circle between two locations on the sphere?
  5. May 17, 2010 #4
    As the choice of axis is arbitrary, you can choose one such that [tex]\theta[/tex] is zero. Then varying [tex]\phi[/tex] (which as you point out should have no [tex]\theta[/tex] dependence) is just tracing out a great circle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?