Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesics and the Lagrangian.

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    I have the following problem:

Let [itex]L(q,\dot{q})=\sum g_{ij}(q)\dot{q}_i\dot{q}_j[/itex]. And [itex]l(q,\dot{q})=\sqrt{L(q,\dot{q})}[/itex]. Define the spaces [itex]\mathbb{X},\, \mathbb{Y}[/itex] of parametrized curves

[tex]\mathbb{X}=\{\gamma\,:\,[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n,\,\gamma \in C^\infty,\,\gamma(0)=q_0,\,\gamma(1)=q_1\},[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Y}=\{\gamma\,:\,[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n,\,\gamma \in C^\infty,\,\gamma(0)=q_0,\,\gamma(1)=q_1,\,L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k\},[/tex]

([itex]k[/itex] is a constant and [itex]g\in C^\infty[/itex]). Plus, lets define te actions [itex]A_L:\mathbb{X}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]A_l:\mathbb{Y}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] in the usual way. Prove that the critical points of [itex]A_L[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{X}[/itex] coincide with the ones of [itex]A_l[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Y}[/itex]. Give the geometrical interpretation of the action [itex]A_l[/itex] and of the condition [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Y}[/itex].

I've already shown that the critical points coincide. I also know from a previous exercise that [itex]g_{ij}(q)[/itex] is positive definite, that the Euler-Lagrange equations are the ones for the geodesics in that metric and that [itex]\dot{L}(q(t),\dot{q}(t))=0[/itex] if [itex]q(t)[/itex] is a geodesic.

The problem is that I dont know how to interpret [itex]A_l[/itex] and [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex].

Is [itex]l=\left\|\dot{q}\right\|_g[/itex] the norm of the velocity vector?

If so, what does it means that [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex]?

I little help will be much apretiated.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2
    I think I've got it.

The action [itex]A_L[/itex] is the energy of the curve (more specifically, the kinetic energy), while the action [itex]A_l[/itex] is the lenght of the curve. That means that a curve minimizes its energy if and only if it minimizes its length, independently of the metric (given a zero potential).

Does this makes any sense?

There are no sections on Calculus of Variations or Analytical Mechanics, so I figured to post here, but maybe this fits better in the DE section?

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    I don't think that's quite right. The minimal curves for action are not the inimal length curves in general. (Think planetary orbits).

I believe this question is related to something about the curves of minimum length being the curves along which an elastic band stretched between the two points would have least energy. I think. Or was it that it was the path along which a particle moving with unit velocity would have minimum kinetic energy throughout? Actually, was that what you meant?

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4
    You are right, I shouldn't say minimal curves, more like critical curves. But as I stated above, my theorem applies only in zero potential, which is not the case of planetary orbits.

I've proven that a critical curve of the functional

[tex]A_L=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} L(q,\dot{q}) dt[/tex]

defined as above (kinetic energy), is a critical curve of the functional

[tex]A_l=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \sqrt{L(q,\dot{q})}dt[/tex],

which is the length of the curve parametrized by [itex]t[/itex] in the metric [itex]g[/itex].

Again, it has nothing to do with elastic bands, as there is no potential energy.

In summary, free particles move in geodesics :)

(Now I am convinced that this post don't belong here as much)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?