Geodesics and the Action Principle

In summary, the geodesic that a free particle moves on is the shortest path between the particle's initial and final positions.
AiRAVATA
I have the following problem:

Let [itex]L(q,\dot{q})=\sum g_{ij}(q)\dot{q}_i\dot{q}_j[/itex]. And [itex]l(q,\dot{q})=\sqrt{L(q,\dot{q})}[/itex]. Define the spaces [itex]\mathbb{X},\, \mathbb{Y}[/itex] of parametrized curves

[tex]\mathbb{X}=\{\gamma\,:\,[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n,\,\gamma \in C^\infty,\,\gamma(0)=q_0,\,\gamma(1)=q_1\},[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Y}=\{\gamma\,:\,[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n,\,\gamma \in C^\infty,\,\gamma(0)=q_0,\,\gamma(1)=q_1,\,L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k\},[/tex]

([itex]k[/itex] is a constant and [itex]g\in C^\infty[/itex]). Plus, let's define te actions [itex]A_L:\mathbb{X}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]A_l:\mathbb{Y}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] in the usual way. Prove that the critical points of [itex]A_L[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{X}[/itex] coincide with the ones of [itex]A_l[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Y}[/itex]. Give the geometrical interpretation of the action [itex]A_l[/itex] and of the condition [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Y}[/itex].I've already shown that the critical points coincide. I also know from a previous exercise that [itex]g_{ij}(q)[/itex] is positive definite, that the Euler-Lagrange equations are the ones for the geodesics in that metric and that [itex]\dot{L}(q(t),\dot{q}(t))=0[/itex] if [itex]q(t)[/itex] is a geodesic.

The problem is that I don't know how to interpret [itex]A_l[/itex] and [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex].

Is [itex]l=\left\|\dot{q}\right\|_g[/itex] the norm of the velocity vector?

If so, what does it means that [itex]L(\gamma,\dot{\gamma})=k[/itex]?

I little help will be much apretiated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've got it.

The action [itex]A_L[/itex] is the energy of the curve (more specifically, the kinetic energy), while the action [itex]A_l[/itex] is the length of the curve. That means that a curve minimizes its energy if and only if it minimizes its length, independently of the metric (given a zero potential).

Does this makes any sense?

There are no sections on Calculus of Variations or Analytical Mechanics, so I figured to post here, but maybe this fits better in the DE section?

AiRAVATA said:
The action [itex]A_L[/itex] is the energy of the curve (more specifically, the kinetic energy), while the action [itex]A_l[/itex] is the length of the curve. That means that a curve minimizes its energy if and only if it minimizes its length, independently of the metric (given a zero potential).

I don't think that's quite right. The minimal curves for action are not the inimal length curves in general. (Think planetary orbits).

I believe this question is related to something about the curves of minimum length being the curves along which an elastic band stretched between the two points would have least energy. I think. Or was it that it was the path along which a particle moving with unit velocity would have minimum kinetic energy throughout? Actually, was that what you meant?

You are right, I shouldn't say minimal curves, more like critical curves. But as I stated above, my theorem applies only in zero potential, which is not the case of planetary orbits.

I've proven that a critical curve of the functional

[tex]A_L=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} L(q,\dot{q}) dt[/tex]

defined as above (kinetic energy), is a critical curve of the functional

[tex]A_l=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \sqrt{L(q,\dot{q})}dt[/tex],

which is the length of the curve parametrized by [itex]t[/itex] in the metric [itex]g[/itex].

Again, it has nothing to do with elastic bands, as there is no potential energy.

In summary, free particles move in geodesics :)

(Now I am convinced that this post don't belong here as much)

Last edited:

1. What is a geodesic?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, such as a sphere or a curved space-time. It is the equivalent of a straight line in Euclidean geometry.

2. How is the geodesic determined by the Lagrangian?

The geodesic is determined by minimizing the action integral, which is calculated using the Lagrangian function. The geodesic is the path that satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are derived from the Lagrangian.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental concept in physics, specifically in the study of mechanics and dynamics. It is used to describe the motion of particles and systems, and is based on the principle of least action.

4. How is the Lagrangian related to Newton's laws of motion?

The Lagrangian is related to Newton's laws of motion through the principle of least action. This principle states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is calculated using the Lagrangian. This is equivalent to Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, where the force is equal to the rate of change of the system's momentum.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the Lagrangian has applications in various fields of science, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It is a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems and is used extensively in theoretical physics and engineering.