How can I calculate a rotation using geometric algebra?

In summary, you need to use B=\frac{m\wedge n}{sin \phi}, B^{2}=-1, and re-write the rotation as e^{-B \frac{\phi}{2}}.
JonnyMaddox
Hi, I want to calculate a rotation of a vector GA style with this formula [itex]e^{-B \frac{\pi}{2}}(2e_{1}+3e_{2}+e_{3})e^{B\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]. Now since no book/pdf on GA exists where a calculation is explicitly done with numbers, I wounder how to calculate this. Should I substitude [itex]e^{-B \frac{\pi}{2}}=cos (\frac{\pi}{2})-Bsin(\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex](same for the other term) and see what I get, or should I convert the vector into a complex number and then convert it into the exponential form and then multiply it? Or how is this done? By the way, how do I convert a vector in [itex]R^{3}[/itex] into a complex number? Multiply on the left with [itex]e_{1}e_{2}[/itex]? In [itex]R^{2}[/itex] it is just multiplication by [itex]e_{1}[/itex] on the left.

Physics news on Phys.org
JonnyMaddox said:
Hi, I want to calculate a rotation of a vector GA style with this formula [itex]e^{-B \frac{\pi}{2}}(2e_{1}+3e_{2}+e_{3})e^{B\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]. Now since no book/pdf on GA exists where a calculation is explicitly done with numbers, I wounder how to calculate this. Should I substitude [itex]e^{-B \frac{\pi}{2}}=cos (\frac{\pi}{2})-Bsin(\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex](same for the other term) and see what I get, or should I convert the vector into a complex number and then convert it into the exponential form and then multiply it? Or how is this done? By the way, how do I convert a vector in [itex]R^{3}[/itex] into a complex number? Multiply on the left with [itex]e_{1}e_{2}[/itex]? In [itex]R^{2}[/itex] it is just multiplication by [itex]e_{1}[/itex] on the left.
Is [itex]B[/itex] the imaginary unit?

Your question is unclear. I am particularly confused by your conjugation by "[itex]e^{-B\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]," since I'm not sure how it is acting.

Would you please clarify?

Hi Pond Dragon. Sry, the general formula for a rotation is defined as [itex]a^{,}= RaR^{\dagger}[/itex] Where [itex]R=nm[/itex] and [itex]R^{\dagger}=mn[/itex]. Now one uses [itex]B= \frac{m\wedge n}{sin \phi}[/itex], [itex]B^{2}=-1[/itex] (unit bivector) and rewrites [itex]R=cos \frac{\phi}{2} -B sin \frac{\phi}{2}=e^{-B \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex] and [itex]R^{\dagger}= cos \frac{\phi}{2} +B sin \frac{\phi}{2}=e^{B \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex]. Hope that helps !
Thx for reply.

JonnyMaddox said:
Hi Pond Dragon. Sry, the general formula for a rotation is defined as [itex]a^{,}= RaR^{\dagger}[/itex] Where [itex]R=nm[/itex] and [itex]R^{\dagger}=mn[/itex]. Now one uses [itex]B= \frac{m\wedge n}{sin \phi}[/itex], [itex]B^{2}=-1[/itex] (unit bivector) and rewrites [itex]R=cos \frac{\phi}{2} -B sin \frac{\phi}{2}=e^{-B \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex] and [itex]R^{\dagger}= cos \frac{\phi}{2} +B sin \frac{\phi}{2}=e^{B \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex]. Hope that helps !
Thx for reply.
So, you don't know how to compute the product? It looks like you could just apply definitions.

Hi again, so you think this is the right way

[itex](cos \frac{\pi}{2}-Bsin\frac{\pi}{2})(2e_{1}+3e_{2}+e_{3})=-e_{1}B2-e_{2}B3-e_{3}B[/itex]

then from the right
[itex](-e_{1}B2-e_{2}B3-e_{3}B)(cos\frac{\pi}{2}+Bsin\frac{\pi}{2})=-2e_{1}-3e_{2}+e_{3}[/itex]
It should be a rotation of 90 degrees, but the two vectors are not orthogonal hm.

1. What is geometric algebra?

Geometric algebra is a mathematical framework that extends traditional vector algebra to include other geometric objects such as planes, lines, and rotations. It provides a unified way to represent and manipulate these objects, making it a powerful tool in physics, computer graphics, and other fields.

2. How is geometric algebra different from traditional vector algebra?

Geometric algebra introduces new operations, such as the geometric product, that allow for the representation and manipulation of more complex geometric objects. It also uses a more general approach to representing vectors, allowing for a more intuitive understanding of rotations and other transformations.

3. What is the role of rotations in geometric algebra?

Rotations are a fundamental concept in geometric algebra, as they allow for the transformation of geometric objects in a way that preserves their shape and size. Through the use of geometric algebra, rotations can be represented and manipulated in a more intuitive and efficient manner.

4. How can geometric algebra be applied in real-world scenarios?

Geometric algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, computer graphics, robotics, and more. It can be used to model and solve problems involving rotations, transformations, and other geometric operations in a more efficient and intuitive way.

5. Is geometric algebra difficult to learn?

Geometric algebra can be challenging to grasp at first, as it introduces new concepts and operations. However, with practice and a good understanding of traditional vector algebra, it can be a powerful and useful tool for solving complex problems in various fields.