1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric derivative problem

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

we had a a function on a graph of f(x)=1/x and then we are suposed to find the area of a triangle where the tangent line is the hypontenuse, and the x and y axis are the base and hight.....i found f'(x)= -1/x^2
    from here i used the formula y-yo=x0(x-x0) and got that the x intercept is 2xo and then got the y intercept to be 2yo which means those are the lengths of the base and the hight, from there you use the formula of a triangle and that is (2)(2)(xo)(yo) all over 2 and then i canceled out the 2's and got 2(xo)(yo) as the area of the triangle...and this all is correct...but how the heck does the also = 2??? apperantly 2(Xo)(Yo)=2....could someone please explain this, possibly just some basic algebra rule and i'm having a brain fart???

by the way, this is off of MIT's OCW.....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is y0 in terms of x0 ?

After all, isn't y0 = f(x0) ?

4. Jan 1, 2012 #3
    yes....but I dont think that makes a difference....you still need some form of units dont you? because if the answer is 2...then its 2 what? 2 inches? 2 meters? I understood it all the way up untill he said therefor it =2

5. Jan 1, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The units will cancel.

The units of y are the reciprocal of the units of x.

The units of area for this graph are units of x times units of y.

6. Jan 1, 2012 #5
    So I wouldnt be wrong if I left the units then would I? Or is it best to cancle and simplify like that?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. Jan 1, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sentence doesn't make sense. Is there a typo ?

8. Jan 2, 2012 #7
    sorry, yes there was some typos....fixed

9. Jan 2, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whatever the units for x, the area of the triangle will not have units. It's a pure number.

10. Jan 2, 2012 #9
    Alright...now that I am thinking about it I think I understand....its because the x's arnt labeled with a unit/number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook