Geometric Description of Free EM Field

In summary: Again, I'm not familiar with the technical details, so if you could elaborate a bit more on what the relationship between 1->3 is and how jet bundles factor in, that would be much appreciated!In summary, the geometrical description of electromagnetism in flat or curved space-time includes at least 3 (or 4) fiber bundles. These bundles are the base space for the EM field. Differential operator: d
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm not a geometer, so I beg for indulgence on the below:

In a modern geometrical description of electromagnetism (either in flat or in curved space-time*), I see at least 3 (or 4) (fiber) bundles over the 4D space-time taken to be the base space:

* 1 the cotangent bundle and the bundle of p-forms over space time (de Rham complex). Differential operator: d Here the EM field appears as: the potential is a 1 form field, the field strength is a 2 form field. F=dA.

* 2 the (principal?)[itex] SO_{\uparrow}(1,3) [/itex] bundle of tensors over space time. Here if the group is replaced by SL(2,C), we get the spinor bundle over space time, a concept described in the 13th chapter of Wald's book - in the context of a curved space time. Here I imagine A and F as covariant and double covariant tensors. Differential operator = [itex] \partial_{\mu} [/itex] or [itex] \nabla_{\mu} [/itex].

* 3 the so-called U(1) gauge bundle over space time (principal/associated bundle ?) , with F and A having particular descriptions. Here we have another differential operator d-bar, such as F = d-bar A.

Questions:

a) How are 1,2,3 exactly related ?
b) Is d-bar at 3 related to d at 1 ? I suspect yes. How can it be proven ? The operator at 2, how's it related to d-bar at 3 or to d at 1 ?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2 is the frame bundle of 1. As the discussion there describes, the bundle of forms is an example of an vector bundle associated to a principal G-bundle. As for 3, any G-bundle has associated vector bundles associated with the representations of G, see here. We could more accurately claim that the gauge fields ##A_\mu## is a section of a bundle which is itself a product of a principal ##U(1)## bundle with ##T^*(X)##. While it's a bit transparent here, we can say that ##T^*(M)## is the associated vector bundle for the trivial ##U(1)## representation.

Likes 1 person
Hi Fzero, thank you for the answer. One more question, though. Wiki is fine for definitions (as any encyclopedia), but can't be used as a textbook. So which sources (as in books) did you use (in college or in research/job after college) to acquire in your mind a valid geometric description of field theory ?

And d-bar of mine above is the same as d in 1, thus the differentiation is unique ?

dextercioby said:
Hi Fzero, thank you for the answer. One more question, though. Wiki is fine for definitions (as any encyclopedia), but can't be used as a textbook. So which sources (as in books) did you use (in college or in research/job after college) to acquire in your mind a valid geometric description of field theory ?

Nakahara, Geometry, Topology, and Physics is decent. If you want something a bit more rigorous, Choquet-Bruhat and DeWitt-Morette, Analysis, Manifolds and Physics is a 2-vol set, though I think the basics are covered in the first volume. AMP has quite a bit more functional analysis than a typical geometry book, since part of their focus was to put various physics methods in a rigorous mathematical framework. If you want a reference tailored to the mathematics alone, Kobayashi and Nomizu, Foundations of Differential Geometry is pretty accessible, if I recall correctly.

And d-bar of mine above is the same as d in 1, thus the differentiation is unique ?

We can be more specific. If ##G## were non-Abelian, then the gauge fields are ##\mathrm{ad}~G## valued 1-forms, so we can say that they live in ##\omega^1(X, \mathrm{ad}~G)##. There is a covariant exterior derivative ##d_A## on this space that extends from the ordinary exterior derivative on ##\omega^1(X)##. In your case the ##U(1)## bundle has a trivial connection so we just have the ordinary derivative.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the reccomendations, I'll get hold of them. One more question. There's a 4th bundle in classical field theory: the jet bundle. Where do they come in and how are they related to 1->3 ?

Thanks!

dextercioby said:
Thank you for the reccomendations, I'll get hold of them. One more question. There's a 4th bundle in classical field theory: the jet bundle. Where do they come in and how are they related to 1->3 ?

Thanks!

I've heard the term (probably in the context of geometric quantization), but I'm not really familiar with jet bundles. What I can gather from the wiki description is that, given a bundle ##E\rightarrow X## with some sections ##\sigma##, we can construct jet bundles in such a way that the sections of the jet bundle are the vectors ##(\sigma, \partial^1 \sigma, \ldots, \partial^r \sigma)##, where ##\partial^i \sigma## is the ith derivative with respect to the coordinates on ##X##.

There's an example on the wiki where they explain that the 1st jet bundle is diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R} \times T^*(X)##. The first term corresponds to the function, while the 1-form corresponds to its derivative. I would say that the function should more properly be thought of as a section of an ##\mathbb{R}## bundle over ##X##, but since this is trivial, I suppose that the claimed product structure is correct.

It seems that this structure is useful to some people because the data is precisely what you want to define a Lagrangian functional. I've just never had a reason to learn about any of this.

1. What is a "free EM field"?

A free EM field is an electromagnetic field that exists in a vacuum or empty space, without any external sources or influences. It is characterized by its electric and magnetic fields, which are perpendicular to each other and propagate through space at the speed of light.

2. How is a free EM field described geometrically?

A free EM field is described geometrically using Maxwell's equations, which are a set of mathematical equations that relate the electric and magnetic fields to their sources and describe how they interact with each other. These equations also explain how the fields propagate through space and how they change over time.

3. What is the significance of the geometric description of a free EM field?

The geometric description of a free EM field is important because it helps us understand how electromagnetic waves travel through space and interact with matter. It also allows us to predict and control the behavior of EM fields, which has numerous practical applications in areas such as communication, technology, and medicine.

4. Are there any limitations to the geometric description of a free EM field?

While the geometric description of a free EM field is a very accurate and useful model, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account quantum effects, such as the behavior of individual particles, and it assumes that the fields are continuous and uniform, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How does the geometric description of a free EM field relate to other fields of science?

The geometric description of a free EM field is closely related to other fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is also fundamental to our understanding of many natural phenomena, including light, electricity, and magnetism. Additionally, the principles of EM fields have been applied in many other fields, including chemistry, biology, and geology.