Understanding Geometric Distribution

In summary, geometric distribution has a probability of 0.0007716 of occurring. It is expected to take 35 rolls for the event to occur.
rclakmal
Geometric Distribution?

Geometric Distribution: In an experiment, a die is rolled repeatedly until all six faces have finally shown.?
What is the probability that it only takes six rolls for this event to occur? ANSWER = 0.0007716

What is the expected waiting time for this event to occur? ANSWER = 35 rolls

Thanks a lot for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
rclakmal said:
Geometric Distribution: In an experiment, a die is rolled repeatedly until all six faces have finally shown.?
What is the probability that it only takes six rolls for this event to occur? ANSWER = 0.0007716

What is the expected waiting time for this event to occur? ANSWER = 35 rolls

Thanks a lot for any help.

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

yr sure ...i know that geometric distribution has the probability of (p)*(1-p)^(x-1) where the first success happens in x trials .

then i thought that ,
number to come in first trial is =(1/6)*(5/6)^(1-1)=1/6
number coming in the second trial =(1/6)*(5/6)^(2-1)=1/6*(5/6)
like wise

probability will be =sigma(x goes 1 to 6 )[(1/6)(5/6)^(x-1)]...but seems that i got the argument wrong.and can u please help me on this and if u can guide me for a site where some easy examples on this it will be really helpful.

rclakmal said:
yr sure ...i know that geometric distribution has the probability of (p)*(1-p)^(x-1) where the first success happens in x trials .

That formula is really for where you're interested in a fixed result each time (for example, how many 4s are there?) …

Hint: here, you need the 2nd to be different from the 1st, the 3rd to be different from both of them, and so on :wink:

(btw, how did you get on with that other thread?)

yr then it should be 1*(5/6)*(4/6)*(3/6)*(2/6)*(1*6) is that so each time u have to remove one number ...so it should be like this no ...but I am not getting the answer., may be the answer is wrong ?or is it right .did u check it ?anyway thanks for ur helping hands

(what is other thread?i didnt get it ...!)

rclakmal said:
yr then it should be 1*(5/6)*(4/6)*(3/6)*(2/6)*(1*6) is that so each time u have to remove one number ...so it should be like this no ...but I am not getting the answer., may be the answer is wrong

Yes, that's what I get.

The answer given, 0.0007716, is 1/64 … I don't know how they get that. :frown:

(i meant https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=311671)

What is the definition of Geometric Distribution?

The Geometric Distribution is a probability distribution that represents the number of trials required to achieve the first success in a series of independent Bernoulli trials, where the probability of success remains constant.

What is the formula for Geometric Distribution?

The formula for Geometric Distribution is P(X = k) = (1-p)k-1 * p, where P(X = k) represents the probability of achieving the first success on the kth trial, and p is the probability of success on each trial.

What are some real-life examples of Geometric Distribution?

Some real-life examples of Geometric Distribution include the number of attempts needed to make a successful free throw in basketball, the number of failed login attempts before successfully logging into a computer system, and the number of attempts needed to roll a specific number on a die.

What is the relationship between Geometric Distribution and Binomial Distribution?

Geometric Distribution is a special case of Binomial Distribution, where there is only one trial and the number of trials is fixed at 1. In other words, Binomial Distribution is the sum of multiple independent Geometric Distributions.

How is Geometric Distribution used in research and data analysis?

Geometric Distribution is commonly used in research and data analysis to model discrete, binary data with a known probability of success. It can be used to analyze the probability of success in a series of trials and to make predictions about future outcomes based on past data.