Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric mechanisms of non-gravitational forces?

1. Sep 15, 2003 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just wondering... so the conception is that gravity is not really a "force" but rather the consequence of shortest-path motion through curved geometry. Are there analogues for the other forces? I know gravity is not yet theoretically unified with the other forces. But is there nonetheless some conception of, say, the attractions and repulsions of the electromagnetic force actually being a consequence of motion of matter through strange geometry rather than a "force" as we usually think of the word? If not, what is the theoretical mechanism of the attractive/repulsive properties of non-gravitational forces and how do they differ from gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2003 #2
    The question is imo if gravity represents interconnectivity of everything. If your definition includes interconnectivity the basic 'gravity system' must be primary (first) to matter. In that case also EM and radiation is also includes in the geometry of spacetime curvature.
    In my idea everything is just restructered gravity.

4. Sep 15, 2003 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Quantum physics would say no, and gravity isn't either, it's carried by a particle, the graviton.

GR per se doesn't know about anything but gravity.

QGR, like GR is all about gravity (well, all about quantizing spacetime) and doesn't say anything about other forces, but I would think that their enterprise would be eventually to provide some account of the other forces in the context of quantized spacetime. I have no idea what that would be.

At the present time the combination of the other forces and gravity continues to be shaky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?