What is an Example of a Matrix with Geometric Multiplicity Greater Than 1?

In summary, the conversation discusses geometric and algebraic multiplicity in relation to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It is noted that the geometric multiplicity is not always 1 for each eigenvalue and a counter example is provided. The conversation also includes a method for finding eigenvectors and determining the geometric multiplicity.
njl86
after finding out what geometric multiplicity was, I was surprised to notice that in every question I'd done it was always 1.
So I'm trying to prove an example with g.m. > 1 to see why it works.
I've found a matrix which definitely has an eigenvalue with g.m. = 2. I've checked everything with WolframAlpha, so the following is correct:

Matrix A =
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
5 & 4 & 2 \\
4 & 5 & 2 \\
2 & 2 & 2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
Determinant = 10

Characteristic polynomial = [tex]-((x-10) (x-1)^2)[/tex]

So eigenvalues =
1 < -- with a.m. = 2, and g.m. = 2

So find the eigenvectors to find I'd start with:
(A - 1 * I ) v = 0, the matrix being:
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
4 & 4 & 2 \\
4 & 4 & 2 \\
2 & 2 & 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly not true that the geometric multiplicity is always 1 for each eigenvalue. All you know is that the geometric multiplicity is always less than or equal to the algebraic multiplicity; there is nothing that says, however, that the geometric multiplicity must be 1. Recall that if ##A## is a matrix and ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##A## then the geometric multiplicity of ##\lambda## is ##\dim E_{\lambda}## where ##E_{\lambda}## is the associated eigenspace.

As a simple counter example, consider ##A = I##. The only eigenvalue of ##I## is ##\lambda = 1 ## and every ##v\in \mathbb{R}^{n}## is an eigenvector of ##I## so ##E_{\lambda = 1} = \mathbb{R}^{n}## which has a geometric multiplicity of ##n## which is not 1 in general.

WannabeNewton said:
It is certainly not true that the geometric multiplicity is always 1 for each eigenvalue.
I know, I was just looking for a normal example that showed otherwise.
Thank you for your counter example

How do I continue with my method?

Well your example is also quite easy in fact. Taking ##B = \begin{pmatrix}
4 & 4 &2 \\
4& 4 &2 \\
2 & 2 & 1
\end{pmatrix}##
we can very easily put this in reduced row echelon form as ##C = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 &0 \\
0& 0 &0 \\
2 & 2 & 1
\end{pmatrix}##. Thus, the solutions to ##Cv = 0## are given by ##v_{1},v_{2} = \text{arbitrary}## and ##v_{3} = -2v_1 -2v_2## where ##v = (v_1,v_2,v_3)^{T}##. Therefore, setting ##v_1 = t,v_2 = s##, we can write any ##v\in \text{Null}C## as ##v = t(1,0,-2)^{T} + s(0,1,-2)^{T}## i.e. ##E_{\lambda = 1} = \text{Null}C = \text{Span}\{(1,0,-2)^{T},(0,1,-2)^{T}\}## which of course has a geometric multiplicity of 2.

Last edited:
I see how it works now, thank you

1. What is geometric multiplicity?

Geometric multiplicity is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with a given eigenvalue of a matrix.

2. How is geometric multiplicity different from algebraic multiplicity?

Algebraic multiplicity is the number of times an eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, while geometric multiplicity is the number of linearly independent eigenvectors associated with that eigenvalue.

3. How is geometric multiplicity related to diagonalizability?

A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if the algebraic and geometric multiplicities of each eigenvalue are equal. If the geometric multiplicity is less than the algebraic multiplicity, the matrix is not diagonalizable.

4. Can geometric multiplicity be greater than algebraic multiplicity?

Yes, it is possible for the geometric multiplicity to be greater than the algebraic multiplicity. This occurs when there are repeated eigenvalues in the matrix, but they have different associated eigenvectors.

5. How is geometric multiplicity used in applications?

Geometric multiplicity is used in many applications, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It is particularly useful in analyzing systems with multiple degrees of freedom, such as vibrations in a mechanical system or modes of oscillation in a chemical reaction.