1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Optics: A Diverging and Converging Lense in Series

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    A romantic, lighted candle is placed 39 cm in front of a diverging lens. The light passes through the diverging lens and on to a converging lens of focal length 10 cm that is 5 cm from the diverging lens. The final image is real, inverted, and 21 cm beyond the converging lens. Find the focal length of the diverging lens.

-1/S + 1/S' = 1/f
    Here's my approach which led me to the wrong answer:
    I started by just looking a the converging lense. The image's location is 21 to the right of the lense, or at +21cm. The primary focal point of the converging lense should be to the left, or at -10cm. Here we solve for S using the equation I listed about.
    -1/S=1/f - 1/S'
    -1/S= 1/10 - 1/21
    So S= -19.09cm

Then I take into account that the diverging and converging lense are 5 cm apart. So I am going to subtract 5 from the S solved about.
    So S' for the diverging lense= 14.090cm. Since I have to create a new coordinate system, this image is to the left of the diverging lense, so it is at -14.090cm.
    Then I use -1/S + 1/S' = 1/f again to solve for f.
    so -1/-39cm + 1/-14.090cm= 1/f
    I solved for f, and got f= -22.0598, which makes sense because the image should be closer than the focal point, but it's wrong...

Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted