Geometric/Berry Phase Explained | Elementary References

In summary, the geometric/berry phase is a phenomenon observed in quantum systems when the quantum state traces out a closed path in a parameter space. This is related to degeneracies in the Hamiltonian and can be seen in examples such as an electron in a magnetic field. The parameter space can be seen as the parameters on which the Hamiltonian depends, or in the case of a spin half particle, the Bloch sphere. Regardless of the Hamiltonian, if the state forms a closed loop on the Bloch sphere, there will still be a geometric phase. For more information, you can consult the book "Geometry, Topology, and Physics" by Mikio Nakahara and the paper "Geometric Phases in Physics" by
mtak0114
Hi
could someone please explain what Geometric/berry phase is I've had a look and there seems to be several ways to interpret the physics. My understanding is that it occurs when your quantum state traces out a closed path in some parameter space, which is some how related to degeneracies in a hamiltonian. What is this parameter space if we are thinking of an electrons spin say? Is it always the same or does it depend specifically on the hamiltonian

thanks in advance

ohhh and if anyone has any good elementary references I would be very interested

Marks

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the references, I had a look at the book but there is still something I'm confused about, the parameter space which people refer to seem to refer to either those parameters which the hamiltonian depend on or the projective hilbert space - the bloch sphere for say a spin half particle. A common example then seems to be an electron in a magnetic field, the hamiltonian is:

[tex]H = \mu \underline{B}\cdot \underline{\sigma}[/tex]

If [tex]\underline{B}[/tex] is the magnetic field directions and the parameters which people refer to. Now if this forms a closed loop in [tex]\underline{B}[/tex]-space this should result in a geometric phase but for this example there is no difference if I look at the [tex]\underline{B}[/tex]-space or the Bloch sphere so my question is should the physics be seen (always) as resulting from a closed loop on the bloch sphere?

The example with the Bloch sphere is just an example for spin 1/2 = the simplest non-trivial quantum system, with 2-dimensional space of quantum states. Yet this example contains all the essential features.

Yes
but is this the correct picture? What I mean is regardless of the hamiltonian if the state forms a closed loop on the bloch sphere will there still be a geometric phase?

thanks again

Mark

Yes. Try reading as much as you can from this short but important paper by Barry Simon:
http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/QM/simon_prl_51_2167_83.pdf"
The paper may use some mathematical terms that are rather advanced, nevertheless you should get some idea about what is going on geometrically with Berry's phase.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a geometric/berry phase?

A geometric/berry phase is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the wave function of a quantum system evolves in a non-trivial way when it is taken on a closed path in parameter space. This results in a phase factor that is independent of the initial and final states of the system, and is purely determined by the path taken.

2. How does a geometric/berry phase differ from a dynamical phase?

A dynamical phase is a phase factor that arises from the time evolution of a quantum system, whereas a geometric/berry phase is a phase factor that is independent of time and arises from the path taken in parameter space. The dynamical phase is determined by the energy of the system, while the geometric/berry phase is determined by the geometry of the parameter space.

3. What is the significance of the geometric/berry phase in quantum mechanics?

The geometric/berry phase has important implications in various fields such as quantum computation, quantum information theory, and condensed matter physics. It has been used to explain various physical phenomena, such as the Aharonov-Bohm effect and the quantum Hall effect.

4. How is the geometric/berry phase calculated?

The geometric/berry phase is calculated using mathematical tools such as differential geometry and group theory. It involves calculating the geometric/gauge connection and integrating it over the closed path in parameter space. The resulting phase factor can then be used to explain the behavior of the quantum system.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the geometric/berry phase?

Yes, the geometric/berry phase has been used in various applications, such as in the development of topological quantum computers and in the study of topological insulators. It also has potential applications in the fields of quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.