Geometric Power Series Representation of ln(1+2x) at c=0

In summary, a geometric power series is a mathematical series in which each term is a constant multiple of the previous term, with the constant being raised to a power that increases by one with each term. It is different from an arithmetic power series because the terms are related to each other through multiplication rather than addition. The ratio in a geometric power series is important as it determines the convergence or divergence of the series. The sum of a geometric power series can be found using a formula, but it is only valid for convergent series. In real-world applications, geometric power series are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
fsm
I was wondering if someone could check my work:

Find the geometric power series representation of
f(x)=ln(1+2x), c=0

I get [tex]\\sum_{n=0}^ \\infty[/tex]2(-2x)^n+1 on -1/2<x<1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] f(x) = \ln(1+2x) [/tex]

[tex] \ln(1+2x) = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{1+2x} [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{1}{1+2x} = \int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2x)^{n} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-2x)^{n+1}}{n+1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-2x)^{n+1}}{n+1} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-2x)^{n+1}}{2n+2} [/tex]

Thanks! I see what I did.

1. What is a geometric power series?

A geometric power series is a mathematical series in which each term is a constant multiple of the previous term, with the constant being raised to a power that increases by one with each term. The general form of a geometric power series is given by a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... + anxn, where a0 is the initial term and an is the coefficient of xn.

2. What is the difference between a geometric power series and an arithmetic power series?

The main difference between a geometric power series and an arithmetic power series is the way in which the terms are related to each other. In a geometric power series, each term is a multiple of the previous term, while in an arithmetic power series, each term is a constant amount added to the previous term.

3. What is the significance of the ratio in a geometric power series?

The ratio in a geometric power series, denoted by r, represents the common factor between each term. It is also known as the common ratio. This ratio is important because it determines the convergence or divergence of the series. If |r| is less than 1, the series will converge, and if |r| is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

4. How do you find the sum of a geometric power series?

The sum of a geometric power series can be found using the formula S = a0 / (1-r), where a0 is the initial term and r is the common ratio. This formula is valid only when |r| is less than 1, indicating convergence. If |r| is greater than or equal to 1, the series will not have a finite sum.

5. In what real-world applications are geometric power series used?

Geometric power series are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. Some specific applications include calculating compound interest, modeling population growth, and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits.