1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric problem

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    Hi! My problem sounds as following:
    In the isoscele triangle [itex]\triangle ABC[/itex], [itex]\angle A[/itex] = 48 degrees. Bisect the angle [itex]\angle A[/itex] against [itex]\overline CB[/itex] in point T. Determine the [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] for the three possible solutions.

I've found two of them, but cannot find the last.

The first one is if you pick A as one of the conjugent angles and then you get [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] = 108 degrees.

The second one you find if you select the top angle and then get [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] = 90 degrees.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you bissect the angle against CB at point T you now have two triangles.

If A is the 'top' angle (i.e. B and C are equal), then both of the new triangles are identical to each other - it doesn't matter which of the remaining angles is B and which is C.

If A is one of the side angles (equal to either B or C), then the two new triangles are not equal to each other. If B is equal to A, then ATB is equal to 108 degrees as you said. But how about if A is equal to C and B is the top angle?
  4. Jan 6, 2005 #3
    Ohh, I see now. Thanks! I was being misslead by myself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?