Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometric problem

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    Hi! My problem sounds as following:
    In the isoscele triangle [itex]\triangle ABC[/itex], [itex]\angle A[/itex] = 48 degrees. Bisect the angle [itex]\angle A[/itex] against [itex]\overline CB[/itex] in point T. Determine the [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] for the three possible solutions.

I've found two of them, but cannot find the last.

The first one is if you pick A as one of the conjugent angles and then you get [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] = 108 degrees.

The second one you find if you select the top angle and then get [itex]\angle ATB[/itex] = 90 degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you bissect the angle against CB at point T you now have two triangles.

If A is the 'top' angle (i.e. B and C are equal), then both of the new triangles are identical to each other - it doesn't matter which of the remaining angles is B and which is C.

If A is one of the side angles (equal to either B or C), then the two new triangles are not equal to each other. If B is equal to A, then ATB is equal to 108 degrees as you said. But how about if A is equal to C and B is the top angle?

4. Jan 6, 2005 #3
    Ohh, I see now. Thanks! I was being misslead by myself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook