1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric progression

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    ok, the qn goes like this..

Find the first term and common ration of a geometric progression if the sum to n is given by
    6 - 2/(3^(n-1))

I tried solving by making both terms of the eqn having the same denominator by multiplying (3^(n-1)) to the first term 6 and then by taking out the 2, i am able to make the formula to 2(3^n - 1)/ (3^n-1). But what about the denominator, i remember that there must be no n at the bottom. Only r - 1 where in this case, r is to be found..

Anyone out here can give me some guide? Thanks for any help given.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, you have written that wrong. The denominator is not 3^n- 1, it is 3^(n-1). You should have
    [tex]\frac{6(3^{n-1})- 2}{3^{n-1}}= 2(3^n- 1}{3^{n-1}[/tex]

But it's really not necessary to use a general formula. Since you only need to find two numbers, a and r for the general term arn, you really only need two equations. The first term, with n= 1, is a. The formula you are given says it must be
    [tex]a= 6- \frac{2}{3^{1-1}}[/tex]
    The sum of the first two terms, with n= 2 is a+ ar and so
    [tex]a+ ar= 6- \frac{2}{3^{2-1}}[/tex]
    Can you solve those two equations for a and r?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?