1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Progression

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    what is the nth partial sum of

[itex]1-x+x^2-x^3+..[/itex]

i don't understand why i can't do this?

i have [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} ar^k=\frac{a(r^{n+1}-r)}{r-1}[/itex]

ok but then when i sub in i get messed up i get [itex]\frac{(-x)^{n+1}+x}{-(1+x)}[/itex] is there any way of simplifying this? also when i set n=1 i get that the sum is -x when it should be 1-x???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Do you know how to derive the nth partial sum of 1 + x + x^2 + ... ?

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    off the top of my head isn't it something like

[itex](1-x)(1+x+x^2+...+x^n)=1-x^{n+1} \Rightarrow 1+x+x^2+...+x^n=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/itex]

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    also, another thing i'm having trouble seeing is why [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] diverges.
    my initial instinct was to use the copmarison test with [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/itex] as this diverges.

so if i can show [itex]\frac{1}{1+n} \geq \frac{1}{n}[/itex] then all is well but in fact [itex]\frac{1}{n} \geq \frac{1}{1+n}[/itex] e.g. set n=1 to see

what's going on here?

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    How can you modify this so that it works for [itex]1 - x + x^2 - \cdots[/itex]

There's no need for the Comparison Test. Just note that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n + 1} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \cdots = \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

7. Apr 9, 2009 #6
    would it have a numerator of [itex]1-(-1)^nx^{n+1}[/itex]?

8. Apr 9, 2009 #7
    I don't know this of the top of my head, but if you write up what you did to get that, I can look it over.

9. Apr 9, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

WHAT would? You started talking about
    [tex]\sum_{i= 0}^n (-x)^i[/itex]
    and then changed to
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

Are you back to the first question again?

10. Apr 10, 2009 #9
    Looking at your equation right here, I notice one problem that would fix it rather quickly. When you tried to find the nth partial sum, you are took:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} (-x)^k[/itex]

The only problem with this is that when n = 1, you get -x just like you got. You accidentally dropped the first term when you switched to sum notation. Just change it to:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} (-x)^k[/itex]

This way, 1 is the first term. Your new equation is:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} a*r^k = \frac{a(r^{n + 1} - 1)}{r - 1}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook