1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric progression

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't the whole question, I understand the prior parts but somehow stuck on the "easy" part :( Need to solve a geometric progession problem.. find the sum of:

h(1 + 3^h + 3^2h + ... + 3^(n-1)h)

Where nh = 1

The sum should equal to (2h)/((3^h) -1) which is given as is a prove question

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

h(1 + 3^h + 3^2h + ... + 3^(n-1)h) --- this is the list

(h(1-(3^h)^(n-1)))/(1-3^h) --- using the formula Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r)

simplify slightly (using nh = 1)

= (h(1-3^(1-h)))/(1-3^h)

times top and bottom by -1 to match the denominator of answer

= (h(3^(1-h) - 1))/((3^h) -1)

and now I can't seem to get the final answer out.

Hopefully I've included enough info for you guys to understand what I'm going on about lol - and apologise for the excess of brackets :S

Thank you in advance :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Maatttt0! :smile:

That is not the correct formula, is it? Isn't the correct formula

[tex]S_n=a\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

so with an n+1 instead of an n...

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    Advice: don't memorize any geometric series formula. Instead, try this:

If you have a geometric progression in r, i.e. S = a + ar + ar2 + ar3 + ... + arn, compute S - rS = S(1 - r) and then re-arrange. This leads you exactly to the formula micromass posted, but it really helps you see what's going on. I prefer to memorize a technique than a formula.

For your problem, you should start by re-writing S = h(1 + 3h + 32h + 33h + ... + 3(n-1)h) as S/h = 1 + 3h + 32h + ... + 3(n-1)h. Noting that this is a geometric progression in 3h, multiply both sides by 3h. Then, compute the difference (S/h) - (S/h)3h. Can you go from there?

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4
    Hey guys,

Thank you for both of the replies :)

micromass; I'm didn't think it was n+1 :S my formula booklet just has n by itself.

Unit; I got the answer to come out I think xD

3[itex]^{h}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{S}{h}[/itex] = 3[itex]^{h}[/itex] + 3[itex]^{2h}[/itex] + ... + 3[itex]^{nh}[/itex]

3[itex]^{h}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{S}{h}[/itex] = (3[itex]^{h}[/itex](1-3[itex]^{1}[/itex])) / (1-3[itex]^{h}[/itex])

S = -2h / (1-3[itex]^{h}[/itex]) then just times top and bottom by -1.

Is this what you were suggesting? Hinting to divide through by h and times through by 3^h was useful.

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Yes, that's exactly it! Well done :)

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6
    Aha yay! Thank you Unit - muchly appreciated :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook