1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Progressions Help

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    I am having toruble with my geometric progressions, in that i ahv ebeen given a question where i am given the 7th and 26th terms of a GP. I am required to find the ratio however, which i could do if i had the first term. Usually i can do this as they only give me gps that are one term apart, and i would divide the top by bottom (say Term6 = 3 and term7 = 4) and woudl end up with term1 = 3/4. How can i do this if the terms are as far apart as they are?

Welcoming any responses here :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    i think you have too many variables such as a1 and n (the number of terms) that are unknown at least one of them are needed to solve for the quotinent.

4. Apr 28, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You know that in a geometric progression, the next term's ratio with the previous is a constant; let's call it x; that is GP(n+1)/GP(n)=x.
    But then we must have: GP(n+2)/GP(n)=(GP(n+2)/GP(n+1))*GP(n+1)/GP(n)=x^(2).
    Did that help?

5. Apr 29, 2004 #4
    Thanks for the help, ive got it down pat now :) hope im ready for maths test tomorrow :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?