Geometric Proof: Finding Angles in an Isosceles Triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometric proof involving two isosceles triangles within a larger triangle. The participants identify the equal angles in each isosceles triangle and determine the total sum of angles in the larger triangle. They conclude that the angle \angleQRS is equal to \angleQSR.
Sirsh
Hello all, the picture i have attached is the question.
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8921/geometricproof.png

I've concluded that there are two i isosceles triangles in this one triangle.

[tex]\angle[/tex]PSQ + [tex]\angle[/tex]QSR = 90degrees
Finding the angle in one of the isosceles triangles.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]RQS with RQ = SQ
RQ = SQ (given)
If we put a line through the isosceles triangle and call this Z.
RZ = SZ
RZ = SZ (common to both)
therefore: [tex]\Delta[/tex]RZQ =~ [tex]\Delta[/tex]SZQ
therefore: [tex]\Delta[/tex]QRZ = [tex]\Delta[/tex]QSZ
which results in: [tex]\angle[/tex]QRS = [tex]\angle[/tex]QSR

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I don't understand your explanation on 'Z'!
But your starting point is correct..You have two isosceles triangles (PSQ and QSR) in the triangle PSR.
I will now give you a easy hint:
First consider the isosceles triangle PSQ and find which two angles are equal?
Then take the second isosceles triangle QSR and find which two angles are equal?
Now you know the three angles of the triangle PSR = 180 degree.
Got it!

What is a geometric proof?

A geometric proof is a logical, step-by-step explanation that uses geometric principles and theorems to show that a statement or proposition is true. It is a rigorous way of proving mathematical concepts in geometry.

What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two sides of equal length. This means that two of its angles are also equal. The third side, called the base, is different in length from the other two sides.

How do you find the angles in an isosceles triangle?

In an isosceles triangle, the two equal angles are always opposite the two equal sides. Therefore, to find the measure of an angle, you can use the property that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. Simply subtract the measure of the known angle from 180 degrees, and then divide the result by 2 to find the measure of each equal angle.

What is the angle sum theorem?

The angle sum theorem states that the sum of the angles in any triangle is always 180 degrees. This theorem is essential in finding the angles in an isosceles triangle, as well as in other types of triangles.

Can you prove that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are equal?

Yes, the base angles of an isosceles triangle are always equal. This can be proven using the properties of congruent triangles and the fact that the angles in a triangle always add up to 180 degrees. One possible geometric proof is to show that the two triangles formed by drawing a line through the vertex and midpoint of the base are congruent, thus proving that their corresponding angles are equal.