Proving Triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Triangle
From the expressions (*) and (***) for AE/AC and CD/AC, we getAE+CD=2sin(γ/2)/√3 * (1+√3)cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2)=2sin(γ/2)/√3 * (1+√3)cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2)=2sin(γ/2)/√3 * (1+√3)cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2)=2sin(γ/2)/√3 * (1+√3)cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2)=2sin
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Given a triangle ABC with ∠ B = 60°. The bisectors of angle A and C intersect BC and AB at D and E respectively. Prove that CD + AE = AC.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I stuck on this question for hours already... what is the trick of proving this? Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
First draw the triangle and the bisectors. Find relations among the angles. Find two triangles which contain the common side AC and either CD or AE as the other side. Apply the Law of Sines.

ehild

Using angle bisector theorem, i get (EB/AC)= (AE)/(AC) and (BD)/(DC) = (AB)/AC). So by combining the results, i get

(AE + DC) / (AC) = [ (EB)/BC)] + [(BD)/(AB)]

(AE + DC) = (AC) [(EB)/BC)] + [(BD)/(AB)]

Am i in the correct path? How should i proceed?

Michael_Light said:
Using angle bisector theorem, i get (EB/AC)= (AE)/(AC) and (BD)/(DC) = (AB)/AC).

The red should be BC.
To proceed, you need to use the given angle. Find out how the other angles in the triangle are related. Apply the Law of Sines to the triangles AEC and ADC.

ehild

Attachments

• halfangle.JPG
    halfangle.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
I do it further as this is a nice problem.

In the blue triangle, η=60+γ/2,
In the yellow triangle, δ=60+α/2.

Applying the Law of Sines for both triangles,

AE/AC=sin(γ/2)/sin(60+γ/2),*

CD/AC=sin(α/2)/sin(60+α/2) **

α+60+γ=180°, so α=120-γ and α/2=60-γ/2.

(**) rewritten in terms of γ :

CD/AC=sin(60-γ/2)/sin(120-γ/2) ***

Applying the addition law of sine,

AE/AC=sin(γ/2)/(sin(60)cos(γ/2)+cos(6)sin(γ/2))

AE/AC=2sin(γ/2)/(√3cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2))

CD/AC=(sin(60)cos(γ/2)-cos(60)sin(γ/2))/((sin(120cos(γ/2)-cos(120)sin(γ/2))

CD/AC=(√3cos(γ/2)-sin(γ/2))/(√3cos(γ/2)+sin(γ/2))

AE+CD=??

Attachments

• anglebisectors.JPG
    anglebisectors.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 351

What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it related to proving triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In triangle ABC, CD and AE are two sides that form a right angle at point A, making it applicable in proving CD + AE = AC.

What is the process for proving triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC?

The process for proving CD + AE = AC in triangle ABC involves using the Pythagorean Theorem and the properties of triangles. First, draw a diagram of the triangle and label the sides and angles. Then, use the Pythagorean Theorem to write an equation with the given sides. Finally, use properties of triangles, such as the Triangle Sum Theorem, to simplify the equation and prove that CD + AE = AC.

Can you use other theorems besides the Pythagorean Theorem to prove triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC?

Yes, there are other theorems that can be used to prove CD + AE = AC in triangle ABC. For example, the Converse of the Pythagorean Theorem states that if the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, then the triangle is a right triangle. This theorem can also be used in the proof of CD + AE = AC by showing that triangle ABC is a right triangle.

What are the conditions that must be met in order to prove triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC?

In order to prove CD + AE = AC in triangle ABC, the triangle must meet certain conditions. First, it must be a right triangle, meaning one of the angles is a right angle. Second, the lengths of the sides must follow the Pythagorean Theorem, where the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Finally, the properties of triangles, such as the Triangle Sum Theorem, must be applicable in the proof.

Why is proving triangle ABC's CD + AE = AC important in geometry and other fields of science?

Proving CD + AE = AC in triangle ABC is important because it solidifies the relationship between the sides of a right triangle, which can be applied in various fields of science and mathematics. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and serves as a building block for more complex geometric proofs and applications.