1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric random variable with probability mass function

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    If you have a geometric random variable with probability mass function:

P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n n = 0,1,2,3....

Find the Mean and the Variance.

----------------------------

Okay, ive looked everywhere and tried everything, however, i just cannot get it.

i think that your supposed to find the sum of this sequence to find the mean. I tried everything. I just tried the integral test. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Oct 24, 2005 #3
    No.. i actually mean

" P(X=n) = p(1-p)^n n = 0,1,2,3.... " That is the geometric one im looking for.

AND NOT

" p^n-1(1-p)^n " by the way that may not be right, you must mean "p(1-p)^n-1 n = 1,2,3..." take a look at the beginning of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_distribution

And its actually ironic how that website you gave me is the EXACT course im doing right now.. thats my prof! :)

But back to the work... i still cannot figure out how to get the sum of that sequence.

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    We did this by finding the moment generating function and then differentiating at t=0.

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5
    I'm pretty sure the sum of the infinite series there is 1. You factor out the p and then 1-p=q, so you have p*SUMq^n (0<=q<=1) which is (from calculus) p*1/(1-q) and 1-q =p.....which is p/p=1. That's the proof that the sum of all of the possible outcomes is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?