1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric rotation of (a + bi)

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1

Question, in order to produce a 270 degree geometric rotation of the complex number (a + bi), would this be correct:
    (a + bi) * (-i)
    It seems logical since a 90 degree rotation results from (a + bi) * (i)
    Next question. What would be the equations for rotation of (a + bi) by 45 degrees, 135 degrees, 225 degrees ?
    Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2
  4. Dec 17, 2005 #3
    Is it standard here in the math section of the forum to answer a question with a question ?

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4
    You can either think of complex numbers as vectors and hence use a suitable transformation matrix, or you can think about their arguments (i.e. the angles they make with the +ve real line).

So, yes, multiplication by -i will rotate a complex number by 270 deg (in the anticlockwise direction), since the argument of -i is 270, and when you multiply complex numbers you add their arguments. This is what hypermorphism was hinting at: Euler's formula can prove this. Since if z=a+ib and w=c+id are two complex numbers with arguments p and q, then z=|z|e^(ip) and w=|w|e^(iq), and hence zw=|wz|e^(i(p+q)).

So in the spirit of the standard of answering a question with a question:
    Can you see how to apply this to rotations of any degree? :smile:

6. Dec 19, 2005 #5
    Thanks for your help. I am not a mathematician--obvious from the question--since the answer ends up being basic. I see the degree rotations (0 to 360) of a complex number (a + bi) when operated on by i being related to raising (i) to various powers, thus (a + bi) * i ^ 1 = 90 degree rotation, * i ^ 2 180 degrees, * i ^ 3 270 degrees, * i ^ 4 360 (or 0 degrees). To find any single degree rotation one must find the correct power of i by which (a + bi) is multiplied,--so, is there a Table of Powers of i that give all 360 degrees--perhaps an internet link ?

7. Dec 19, 2005 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As devious_ mentioned (and what follows from Euler), the argument of the product of two complex numbers is the sum of their arguments*. So if you want to rotate by x degrees, you'd want to multiply by a number whose argument is x degrees. The argument of [tex]e^{ix}[/tex] is x radians*, and it's absolute value is 1 (the absolute value needs to be 1 if you just want a rotation). Convert degrees to radians, and use Euler's if you want to get in a+bi form.

*modulo the multivalued nature of the argument, i.e. up to multiples of 2*pi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?