1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric sequences

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mortgage is taken out for £80,000. It is to be paid by annual instalments of 5000with the first payment being made at the end of the first year that the mortgage was taken out. Interest of 4% is then charged on any outstanding debt. Find the total time taken to pay off the mortgage.

2. Relevant equations
    Sn=a(r^n-1)/r-1

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea here can someone please point me in the right direction, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2
    Since you want a pointer in the right direction, start with your 80K subtract the payment 5K...then add to what remains 4% interest, then subtract 5K again and add to what remains 4% interest, then subtract...and so on. (so long as you don't actually calculate anything here you should see that you'll be summing up terms in a geometric sequence)
    Clearly if you keep repeating this process the debt will become zero. the n in your relevant equation is the number of times interest gets added.
    For what value of n will it be true that your above summation will be equal to zero?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    I'm getting just over 12 years, is that correct?

6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    it dosen't sound right

7. Jun 1, 2008 #6
    with no interest, paying 5000/year. it would take 80000/5000 = 16 years to pay it off. it's going to be more than that with interest

8. Jun 1, 2008 #7
    what expression did you form to get that?
    furthermore, shouldn't your sum equation be of the form: Sn = (r^(n+1)-1)/(r-1)?

Hmm..am I right in saying that you got 12 years by the following process:
    1.a): 80000-5000
    1.b): (1.a) - 0.04*(1.a)
    1.c): (1.b) - 5000
    1.d): (1.c) - 0.04*(1.c)...and so on?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?