Convergence and Sum of the Geometric Series: A Quick Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a homework problem involving calculating the geometric series of Ʃfrom n=1 to infinity of 1/n. The student is initially unsure of how to solve the problem and asks for clarification on what a geometric series is. After some discussion, it is determined that the series is a harmonic series and that it does not converge. The conversation ends with the student trying to understand the concept better.
Jimmy84
Geometric series problem urgent

Homework Statement

Calculate the geometric series of Ʃfrom n=1 to infinity of 1/n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start solving, how can I solve this? I have test about this tomorrow I really need some help please.

Physics news on Phys.org

First off, what is a geometric series? Are you sure that your series is a geometric series?

Mark44 said:
First off, what is a geometric series? Are you sure that your series is a geometric series?

the formula is Ʃ from n=0 to ∞ of a(r)^n is equal to a/(1-r)

I was told to use the geoemtric series and to solve for that. but I don't know any general process or any way to do that. how can I start to solve that?

The general term of a geometric series looks like this: ark. Does your series look like this?

It would be helpful to see the exact wording of your problem. What you have makes almost no sense.

Mark44 said:
The general term of a geometric series looks like this: ark. Does your series look like this?

It would be helpful to see the exact wording of your problem. What you have makes almost no sense.

thats what I have there arent many details i solved some similar problems for instance

Ʃ from n = 0 to ∞ of 1/2^n by subsituing this in the a/(1-r) expression the result was 2

but on this problem I don't see how could I make such a substitution.

Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the geometric series of Ʃfrom n=1 to infinity of 1/n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start solving, how can I solve this? I have test about this tomorrow I really need some help please.
Are you sure that the word 'geometric' is in the problem in your book , wherever you got it.

This is a well known series that doesn't converge.

SammyS said:
Are you sure that the word 'geometric' is in the problem in your book , wherever you got it.

Yes it is there

Ʃfrom n=1 to infinity of 1/n..this is harmonic series where the n is to the power of 1..
i just learned this in my class

SammyS said:

Writing out the first bunch of terms gives:

1 + 1/2

 + 1/3 + 1/4     This is greater than 1/2, because 1/3 > 1/4

 + 1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8    > 1/2, because each fraction is at least 1/8

 + 9 + 1/10 + 1/11 + 1/12 + 1/13 + 1/14 + 1/15 + 1/16  > 1/2, because each fraction is at least 1/16

 + ...

If you go far enough, you can exceed any number you like.

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Calculus & Beyond section.

This is a famous series...you will drill this into your head.

Actually what are you calculating...? The sum? the convergence/divergence? limt?

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term. It follows the form of a1, a1r, a1r2, a1r3, ... where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is Sn = a1(1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

How do you determine if a geometric series converges?

A geometric series converges if the common ratio (r) is between -1 and 1. If r is greater than 1 or less than -1, the series will diverge. Another way to determine convergence is to calculate the limit as n approaches infinity of the sum formula. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the series converges.

What is the relationship between geometric series and exponential functions?

Geometric series and exponential functions are closely related. The sum of a geometric series can be expressed as a function of the common ratio (r) and the first term (a1). This function is equivalent to an exponential function with a base of r. In other words, the sum of a geometric series can be represented as a geometric function.

What are some real-life applications of geometric series?

Geometric series can be used to model various real-life scenarios, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. For example, a population that grows at a constant rate can be modeled using a geometric series, where the first term represents the initial population and the common ratio represents the growth rate. In finance, compound interest can be calculated using a geometric series, where the first term is the principal amount and the common ratio is the interest rate.