1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric series question

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Evaluate [tex]\Sigma 2(1/10)^n[/tex] or explain why it diverges. (Infinity is on the top of the sum and n=1 on the bottom, I just didn't know how to put it in latex)

This was a test question that I got wrong. I thought that it was a geometric series with r= 1/10. This would mean that r is less than 1 so the series would converge. Why is the question saying that it will diverge?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not, it's saying to either evaluate it or explain why it diverges. If it just told you to evaluate it, then it would be telling you that the series converges. They want you to figure that out for yourself. Far as I can tell, that's a converging series with a value of 2/9.
  4. May 5, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get [itex] \frac{2}{9} [/itex],too.It would have been [itex] \frac{20}{9} [/itex],had the summation started from n=0.

To the OP:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{10^{n}} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?