Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometric series

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

tmc

The sum that is done here is not the sum of the areas of every S_i; it is the sum whose result is the area of S_n itself. Look at A_3 in part (e), it is given as
    A_3 = a^2 + 4a^2/9 + 4a^2/27
    From this, you could guess that
    A_4 = a^2 + 4a^2/9 + 4a^2/27 + 4a^2/81
    And so on, such that A_n is such a sum. Every new term in the sum is the area of the extra little squares tacked onto the shape.

4. Jun 24, 2008 #3
    Hi, I understand that it is a geometric series, I was concerned with part (f). My question is why use the sum to infinity?

Thanks

5. Jun 24, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi nokia8650! :smile:

Because you want sup{Sn}, and the sequence is increasing, so you want S. :smile:

6. Jun 24, 2008 #5
    Thanks. The question says the sum to n, so shouldnt the equation be the sum ton, not the sum to inifnity?

Thanks

7. Jun 24, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi nokia8650! :smile:
    erm … no, it doesn't … it says "Find the smallest value of the constant S such that the area of Sn < S, for all values of n."

So you want sup{area of Sn}, which is the "area of S". :smile:

8. Jun 24, 2008 #7
    Thanks for the help. Its the wording of the question that is confusing me! So the question asks for the value of a constant which is greater than the area of the "final" square?

Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook