1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric Series

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    I am having a little trouble with some questions on geometric series'
    For example, Find the values of x for which the following geometric series converge
    I have done the first one easy enough
    [tex]\frac{-1}{2} < x < \frac{1}_{2}[/tex]

But then it gets more difficult and adds more to the question for example
    I get [tex]r=5(3x+4)[/tex]
    so [tex]|5(3x+4)|<1[/tex]

But then I am stuck as to what to do next any hints on how to go about these questions would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the same kind of story to explicitate the modulus...

[tex] \left|a\right|<b\Leftrightarrow -b<a<b [/tex]

Thankfully,the ratio is linear in "x"...

EDIT:Halls,this is the kind of terminology i had been used to in high school.Always the teacher said about "modulus explicitation" (sic!)...
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  4. Apr 4, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"explicate the modulus"?? Wow! Them big words is too much for me!

Briggs, what dextercioby means is: |5(3x+4)|< 1 is exactly the same as

-1< 5(3x+4)< 1. Now solve for x.
  5. Apr 4, 2005 #4
    It's explicitate! :tongue:
  6. Apr 4, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the help, it seems quite simple now that you have shown me the next step, I get

Which is the correct answer so thanks a lot for the help :smile:
  7. Apr 4, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To help vizualize this geometrically, imagine a point P on the number line. Then, all points X that are strictly inside a distance d from the fixed point P, are given by the equation : |X-P| < d

In other words, this means that X is the set of points in (P-d, P+d). This follows directly from the definition of the modulus :

Definition : |x| = x if x > 0 and |x| = -x if x <= 0

Derivation of Geometric Statement : |X-P| = X-P if X > P and |X-P| = P - X, otherwise (from def'n.)

In the first case (when X > P), |X-P| < d means that X-P < d or X < P+d. So : P < X < P+d

In the second case (when X <= P) |X-P| < d means that P-X < d or X > P-d. So : P-d < X <= P

Combining the above two cases, you see that |X-P| < d gives P-d < X < P+d.

Example : |ax + b| < d is the same as writing |ax - (-b)| < d, which translates as "the distance of points ax from the point b is less than d. So, b-d < ax < b+d, or (b-d)/a < x < (b+d)/a
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?