1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric spacetime split

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    I'm having difficulty understanding the geometry of a spacetime split as it applies to geometric algebra. I understand vectors, bivectors, and trivectors and I understand geometric products and wedge products. My impression is that a spacetime split lets you decompose an electromagnetic field into an E and B for a given inertial frame. Is this correct? Can someone clue me in on the geometry here? I've been studying from Hestenes and Doran & Lasenby.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, heafnerj.

Given a 4-velocity vector t, the electric-field seen by that observer is (up to sign) [tex]F_{ab}t^b[/tex]... essentially picking out a column or row from F (in t's coordinates). The magnetic field can be expressed similarly using the Hodge-dual *F (or F and either the Levi-Civita tensor [tex]\epsilon[/tex] or the spatial metric [tex]h_{ab}[/tex] with respect to t)... essentially picking out the spatial submatrix from F (in t's coordinates).

I'm not yet familiar enough with Geometric Algebra to use their terminology.

Check out section 2.3 of Malament's review of GR
    http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0506065

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    Doran and Lasenby use bivectors with a minkowski -+++ metric:

[itex]\sigma_i = \gamma_i \gamma_0[/itex] as a spacial basis. These have a positive square, like a set of euclidian orthonormal vectors, and thus behave vector like for all intents and purposes.

They write the electromagnetic field as the following bivector:

[tex]
    F = \sum E^i \sigma_i + I B^i \sigma_i
    [/tex]

So, one can recover the electric and magnetic field components with:

[tex]
    E^i = F \cdot \sigma_i
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    B^i = (-I F) \cdot \sigma_i
    [/tex]

Other than being a cool way to condense maxwell's equations into one equation, I haven't gotten as far as figuring out how to actually utilize all this in calculations. I've had to go back to basics and understand SR fundamentals a lot better before I can understand their applications of GA to SR, and E&M. The two days that we did SR in first year E&M back in my undergrad engineering days wasn't enough to to able to understand chapter 5 or 7 of that book;) I'm starting to get a handle on some of the SR basics but still haven't gotten back to the GA side of things.

fwiw, I've collected some notes on both the Hestenes and D/L texts. Both are too dense for me and I found I had to spend a lot of time mulling over details to be able to understand things sufficiently. I recently organized these notes a bit and dumped them here:

http://www.geocities.com/peeter_joot/

Perhaps some of it would be of it would be of interest to you ... I wrote it up to explain things to myself, because if I couldn't do that I found I didn't understand something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?