Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrical centre

  1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Could anyone tell me what actually the geometric centre of a body is?
    please don't cite references from centre of mass or gravity.i want to know what it is in terms of its geometricity.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    You might want to google or otherwise look up "centroid". If you can find formulas describing the body it is the the x, y, and z coordinates given by
    [tex]\overline{x}= \frac{\int\int\int xdV}{\int\int\int dV}[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{y}= \frac{\int\int\int ydV}{\int\int\int dV}[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{z}= \frac{\int\int\int zdV}{\int\int\int dV}[/tex]

    The denominator is, of course, the volume of the body.

    If you don't mind my using dirty words, that is, in fact, the "center of mass" or "center of gravity" assuming a constant density where you replace [itex]dV[/itex] with [itex]\rho dV[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] being the density. Since it is constant it can be taken out of the integrals, and, since it is in both numerator and denominator, will cancel.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook