Are These Geometrical Optics Diagrams Correct?

In summary: The image arrow should be dotted, and the labels should be placed above and to the right of the image, as shown in the image.
bap902
I had to draw these diagrams for an AP Physics summer work assignment. I was just wondering if someone could look them over and let me know if I did them correctly. Thanks!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5520/go1kf2.png"
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8011/go2lj2.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good mostly.

However, in b, c, h: horizontal rays, after reflection or refraction, should travel through (or directly away from) a point that is a distance "f" from the mirror or lens.

Other than that, it looks good!

there's no need to draw so many lines as you have done in the first few diagrams... the last ones (concave, convex mirrors, i guess) are better... just remember that whatever you have, you can always draw a line through the center of curvature, which stays in its course even after reflection, and another through the focus, which becomes parallel to the optic axis after reflection... the image is where they intersect... don't unnecessarily draw more lines... things get cluttered... and some of your rays don't have directional arrows which is suicidal in geometrical optics diagrams... for example, a ray through the center of curvature should have arrows in both directions to indicate that it is retracing its path...

In c on the first set, there's a ray that you forgot to trace back. :)

Always put directional arrows, as gc2004 has said. You usually only need two rays, but if you want to check to make sure you've got it right, you can use three. Especially if that's what the textbook said to do. :D

A couple things that bother me, though, are that your image arrow isn't dotted... you should differentiate the object and the image in some way. Plus, my teacher always required me to label S, S', h, and h', if yours doesn't then you don't have to, but it's still a good idea.

1. What is a Geometrical Optics Diagram?

A Geometrical Optics Diagram is a diagram that represents the path of light rays as they pass through different optical elements such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. It is used to visualize how light behaves in different situations and to aid in understanding optical phenomena.

2. What are the main components of a Geometrical Optics Diagram?

The main components of a Geometrical Optics Diagram include a light source, an object, and optical elements such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. The diagram also includes labels for the focal points, principal axis, and any relevant distances.

3. How is a Geometrical Optics Diagram useful in understanding light?

A Geometrical Optics Diagram is useful in understanding light because it allows us to visualize and predict the behavior of light as it passes through different optical elements. It also helps us understand how images are formed and how they can be manipulated using different optical elements.

4. Can a Geometrical Optics Diagram be used to predict the path of all types of light?

No, a Geometrical Optics Diagram is only applicable for light rays that travel in a straight line and do not interact with each other. It cannot be used to predict the behavior of other types of light, such as diffraction or interference patterns.

5. How can a Geometrical Optics Diagram be used in practical applications?

A Geometrical Optics Diagram is used in practical applications for designing and optimizing optical systems such as lenses, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also used in the study of vision and the design of corrective lenses for eyeglasses. Additionally, it is used in industries such as photography, microscopy, and laser technology.