1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrical Optics Diagram

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    I had to draw these diagrams for an AP Physics summer work assignment. I was just wondering if someone could look them over and let me know if I did them correctly. Thanks!

First set of diagrams
    Second set of diagrams

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good mostly.

However, in b, c, h: horizontal rays, after reflection or refraction, should travel through (or directly away from) a point that is a distance "f" from the mirror or lens.

Other than that, it looks good!

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    there's no need to draw so many lines as you have done in the first few diagrams... the last ones (concave, convex mirrors, i guess) are better... just remember that whatever you have, you can always draw a line through the center of curvature, which stays in its course even after reflection, and another through the focus, which becomes parallel to the optic axis after reflection... the image is where they intersect... don't unnecessarily draw more lines... things get cluttered... and some of your rays don't have directional arrows which is suicidal in geometrical optics diagrams... for example, a ray through the center of curvature should have arrows in both directions to indicate that it is retracing its path...

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    In c on the first set, there's a ray that you forgot to trace back. :)

Always put directional arrows, as gc2004 has said. You usually only need two rays, but if you want to check to make sure you've got it right, you can use three. Especially if that's what the textbook said to do. :D

A couple things that bother me, though, are that your image arrow isn't dotted... you should differentiate the object and the image in some way. Plus, my teacher always required me to label S, S', h, and h', if yours doesn't then you don't have to, but it's still a good idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?