1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrical Optics

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1
    A convex lens of focal length f is placed in front of a convex mirror having the same principal axis as the lens. Construct the path of a ray of light which coincides with the corresponding ray emerging from the lens-mirror system, and the path of the ray whose corresponding emergent ray is its symmetrical with respect to the principal axis.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe this is the worst-worded ray-diagram question I have eaver read. Do they mention what the radius or focal length of the mirror is? Is the lens placed inside or outside the mirrors focal length?

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    Absolutely nothing! Most questions involved in this course Im taking are similar to this, & most of the times I'm not quite sure where to start.

I think it's trial & error all the way ...

5. Apr 4, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well then, draw a lens and a mirror. Put in the focal points. Start with a parallel ray and see where it goes. Take the outcoming ray and draw a new ingoing ray that is symmetrical to the first outgoing ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?