Geometrical Optics: Construct Ray Paths for Lens-Mirror System

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which a convex lens and a convex mirror are placed together with the same principal axis. The question is raised about the path of a ray of light that coincides with the corresponding ray emerging from the lens-mirror system and the path of a ray whose corresponding emergent ray is symmetrical with respect to the principal axis. The conversation continues with confusion about the details of the scenario and the approach to solving it.
Chemist
A convex lens of focal length f is placed in front of a convex mirror having the same principal axis as the lens. Construct the path of a ray of light which coincides with the corresponding ray emerging from the lens-mirror system, and the path of the ray whose corresponding emergent ray is its symmetrical with respect to the principal axis.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this is the worst-worded ray-diagram question I have eaver read. Do they mention what the radius or focal length of the mirror is? Is the lens placed inside or outside the mirrors focal length?

Absolutely nothing! Most questions involved in this course I am taking are similar to this, & most of the times I'm not quite sure where to start.

I think it's trial & error all the way ...

Chemist said:
I think it's trial & error all the way ...
Well then, draw a lens and a mirror. Put in the focal points. Start with a parallel ray and see where it goes. Take the outcoming ray and draw a new ingoing ray that is symmetrical to the first outgoing ray.

1. How do lenses and mirrors affect the path of light?

Both lenses and mirrors are optical devices that can manipulate the path of light. Lenses are made of transparent materials and refract light, bending it towards or away from the normal. Mirrors, on the other hand, reflect light and can change its direction. Together, these two components can be used to create complex optical systems that can focus, magnify, or redirect light.

2. What is the significance of constructing ray paths for lens-mirror systems?

Constructing ray paths for lens-mirror systems is important for understanding how light behaves in these systems. It allows us to predict the behavior of light rays as they pass through different optical components and to design systems that meet specific optical needs. It is also essential in troubleshooting and optimizing existing optical systems.

3. How can I construct ray paths for a lens-mirror system?

To construct ray paths for a lens-mirror system, you will need to have a basic understanding of geometric optics principles and the properties of lenses and mirrors. You will also need to know the rules for drawing ray diagrams, such as the law of reflection and the law of refraction. With this knowledge, you can use a pencil and ruler to draw ray paths, or you can use a computer program that simulates light propagation through optical systems.

4. What are some common applications of lens-mirror systems?

Lens-mirror systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, including microscopy, photography, astronomy, and laser technology. They are used to create images, correct vision, and manipulate light for scientific research and industrial processes. Lens-mirror systems are also essential components in many optical instruments, such as telescopes, cameras, and projectors.

5. What factors influence the construction of ray paths in a lens-mirror system?

The construction of ray paths in a lens-mirror system is influenced by several factors, including the curvature and orientation of the lens and mirror surfaces, the refractive index of the materials, and the angle of incidence of the light rays. These factors determine how light rays will be refracted or reflected and the final position and size of the image formed by the system.