Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrical properties of arbitrary sections (2D)

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    Hi all, i am interested in finding out the Geometrical properties of an arbitrary section, which means 2D area. Rather than having to perform manual calculations everytime, i am trying to write a program to help me with this. There is a problem however. I cannot seem to find the appropriate mathematical expressions to help me obtain the following :

(1) Area
    (2) Centroid
    (3) Moment of Inertia

To help make the program easier to write, i have decided that all lines drawn are straight lines, therefore eliminating the tedious curves. Hence i can easily calculate the length of each lines and sum them up to obtain the perimeter. This is possible, because i have all the co-ordinate points. Now, what about area? I have tried using the Green's Theorem for calculations, but i am not sure whether it works for sections which have a large number of co-ordinate points. Also the centroid can also be worked out using Green's Theorem, and once again, it is not known whether it works for arbitrary co-ordinates. Does it have any limitations?

Can anyone help explain to me whether Green's Theorem is good for this application? Or does anyone have a clearer or better algorithm which i can use?

Thanks in advance .... it's rather urgent.. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This same question was asked in "General Mathematics". Please do not post the same question multiple times.

4. Aug 31, 2004 #3
    Green th is using on partial differentials eq , for the variational formulation than for finite element

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?